Method Studios Vancouver is looking for an Assistant Technical Director to join our Pipeline team.
Reporting to the Pipeline Supervisor, the Assistant Technical Director (ATD) will be involved in the creation and ongoing support of a large high-end visual effects pipeline and asset/project management system, as well as application tools and utilities. This is a service-oriented role and the ATD should have a helpful, patient and accommodating personality.
- Develop and maintain scripts, tools and utilities for 3D and 2D artists.
- Work in and understand the Method proprietary pipeline. Help develop and maintain this pipeline.
- Create, package, and release tools and tool projects using Method proprietary technology.
- Assist artists in technical issues. Help to debug any Maya/Houdini-related or Method pipeline related issues. Help debug rendering and dispatching issues.
- Work as “triage” from time-to-time, acting as the point person for any and all production-related queries to the pipeline department.
- Identify workflow inefficiencies and work with artists and other pipeline teams to build systems to improve these inefficiencies
- Good knowledge of VFX software packages such as Maya, Houdini, Nuke
- Programming experience, preferably in Python, C++, MEL, and/or java
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Bash/cshell/Linux knowledge
- Knowledge of render queuing software
- Some experience as a 3D or 2D artist a plus
- Good understanding of relational databases and/or SQL
- Experience in code-sharing, revision control
- Experience writing or working with shaders for vray, Renderman, Mantra, Mental Ray or other production renderers an asset
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computing Science a plus
- Knowledge of Shotgun or asset management a plus
This is a full-time, contract position requiring periodic overtime.
Please apply via email to van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your CV, references, and upcoming availability, with the subject line “ATD” with your name, as in: “ATD – Joe Smith”.
We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Jupiter Ascending”, “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature projects include: “San Andreas” and “Tarzan”.