WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We have several exciting opportunities for Groom Artists to join our team! Under the guidance of the Principal Hair/Fur Artist, Surfacing Supervisor, and/or Art Director on a CG animated project, the Groom Artist creates, hair and fur for creatures, characters and environments based on the determined look and visual style of the project.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Principal Hair/Fur Artist, the Grooming Artist creates and implements hair/fur surfacing and grooming of assets by using hair/fur grooming tools, digital painting and image mapping based on the determined look of a show.
- Collaborates with the lighting, surfacing and simulation teams to ensure techniques are being achieved and processes are followed.
- Collaborates with modeling, lighting, rigging and simulation teams to troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Quality checks that all elements are final, approved and ready for lighting department.
- Collaborates with CG Supervisor in order to manage render times required and final delivery.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director(s) and/or supervisors in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Rainmaker that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Experience with Yeti, Shave and Haircut or Xgen is required
- Experience in UV mapping and texture layout using Maya.
- Advanced painting skills in Photoshop, Substance Painter and/or Mari with a strong understanding of colour theory and application.
- Proficiency using a variety of rendering tools including Red Shift, Renderman, Arnold and Maya is required.
- Eye for detail and good design sense is essential.
- Experience in advanced surfacing techniques such as global illumination and subsurface scattering.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate ideas clearly. Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active.
- Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.