WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the leadership of the FX Supervisor, the FX Artist (Design) designs all non-character related FX and/or applies FX animation per the shot’s requirements.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Creates setups and design FX elements based on mood boards, designs or other references.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Collaborates with Lighting and Compositing artists to test efficacy of the special effects, modifying the design/application as necessary.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline is preferred however not required.
- Ability to hone in on crafting a variety of FX designs as necessitated by shot/sequences in a given project.
- Strong artistic vision, sense of design and composition.
- Intermediate understanding of 3D animation, texturing, modeling, lighting and compositing.
- Proficiency in using Maya and Nuke for particle simulations, expressions, soft body, rigid body & cloth dynamics.
- Experience with Houdini is preferred.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely. Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and proactive.
- Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Encourages open communication between the team and other departments.
- Ability to deliver FX assignments per agreed upon specs and schedule.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.