Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for Senior Character FX Artists. The Character FX Artist is responsible for simulation of hair, fur, skin, cloth, muscles and feather effects on creatures and props in an animated film. They will maintain a deep understanding of the visual and creative requirements of the film that will allow them to create high quality effects. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Develop hair, cloth, and fur simulations with direction from the Department Supervisor or Lead
- Develop intelligent Houdini character setups, that can be highly automated
- Develop techniques and Houdini Digital Assets to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Assist in the development of the Char FX pipeline and tools (in conjunction with TDs and R&D)
- Accurately gauge time it takes to achieve tasks and hit deadlines consistently
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews
- Assist or mentor junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
- 5 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature with a focus in Character FX and simulations
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality hair, fur, cloth, and feather effects simulation
- Production experience using Houdini: Vellum & grooming tools
- Production experience using Houdini: SOPs/DOPs essential
- Production experience using Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Production experience with Numerions Carbon Cloth a Bonus
- Understanding of muscle and skin simulation desired
- Understanding of anatomy and form in motion
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
Salary range CAD$88 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have teams based in Sydney, LA and most recently Vancouver, within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has just wrapped, with more animated features in the pipeline including DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and Super Pets. Recent productions include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!