Our Vancouver location is currently seeking a Senior FX TD.
The Senior FX TD reports to the FX Supervisor and is the technical point of contact for the FX Department. They create technically efficient methodologies and solutions to FX simulations, renders and tools. They also work closely with Pipeline, IT and Render Management teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, create and implement technically efficient toolsets, workflows and methodologies which help to create, simulate and render various effects from simple to highly complex.
- Understand and work within the studio/show structure / pipeline and resources. Work with Pipeline and IT to improve these processes and resolve issues.
- Develop and integrate new streamlined procedures/tools into existing or new scenes to improve simulations or renders and data output
- Assess current methods and workflows and benchmark for efficiency
- Debug scenes and optimize settings to reduce simulation, render times, and data output
- Follow the technical direction set forth by the FX Supervisor on the needs of the department and production.
- Stays current with latest technologies, methods, and workflows
- Educate artists on good practices, efficient methods and workflows
- Share knowledge & mentor junior artists.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as FX TD within live action film and television projects.
- Additional past experience in vfx studio in related role.
- Senior level knowledge of and proven ability to develop Houdini specific toolsets and some Maya development understanding.
- Senior level experience with Houdini in developing or extending pipeline procedures/scripts.
- Adaptable to change of direction during production and in tight deadlines.
- Senior level knowledge & experience of Houdini and Mantra.
- Proficient in other renderers such as VRay, RenderMan, Arnold.
- Excellent ability, and past experience to document developed technologies and reports.
- Attention to available resources and thorough understanding of optimization in order to maximize resource availability and capability.
- Strong technical knowledge for problem solving within vfx pipeline.
- Experience in coding/scripting with current production languages (within vfx studio) I.e.: Python, VEX,
- Hscript, C++, and Mel.
- Thorough understanding of rendering and shading techniques and procedures.
- Understanding of breakout layers for compositing and ability to slap comp FX passes
- Working knowledge of Nuke.
- Knowledge of Nuke scripting an asset.
- Computer Science Degree or other advanced technical training an asset.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in order to help artists deliver simulations, caches and renders on time.
- Deep understanding of Data formats, disk IO, Complex Render Dependencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of CPU and Memory usage/capacity on large Data Sets.
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Positive attitude.
- Highly organized.
- Strong attention to detail and follow through.
- Experience in fast pace environment.
- Must showcase a comprehensive reel demonstrating FX TD capabilities as outlined.
About Zoic Studios, Vancouver
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process, and relationships. Partnership, integrity, and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have two studios located in Los Angeles, New York and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include, Keanu, Everything Everything, Once Upon A Time, The 100, Arrow, Lemony Snicket's; Series of Unfortunate Events, Man In the High Castle, Imaginary Mary, The Get Down and Zoo.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?