We are seeking a VFX Department Manager for our Vancouver studio. This is a one year, full time position working on a variety of projects and managing a specific VFX department. The VFX Department Manager reports to the Heads of Production and works with the Department Supervisor and artists to ensure shots are being tracked and delivered according to established targets and milestones.
The ideal candidate will have solid experience with the entire VFX pipeline, production and coordination; specifically within the area of 3D Modelling, Rigging and/or DMP. They will act as a strong communication bridge between show production and assigned department artists, and work with the department to ensure that shots/assets completed by your team meet the continuity and quality standards for the project. Excellent communication skills and collaborative traits are mandatory.
- Manage teams of artists
- Track progress of assigned work utilizing Shotgun
- Maintain a Gant Chart of resources needed and report daily/weekly to HOPs
- Determine the skill-set needed to complete each project and match appropriately with each of your team’s skill sets
- Work with the supervisor to cast, anticipate potential staffing changes
- Keep Shotgun up-to-date for department notes and statuses, update calendars, schedules, notes, etc.
- Organize department-specific reviews with show supervisors as needed
- Participate in production meetings as required and follow up on notes and action items that pertain to your department
- Walk the floor, gather artist needs, follow-up on action items
- Inform show producers and supervisor of status of your department’s assignments
- Communicate to HOPs and facility supervisors of issues that are not show-specific
- Create daily posting targets list and ensure all relevant artists and shows are informed
- Manage render farm priorities as required for department
- Understand bid hours as it pertains to department specific tasks
- Manage overtime requests
- Keep team happy and functioning effectively with proactive communication
- Ensure performance management meetings are scheduled between department .supervisor and artists
- Forward written notes of all meetings to HR department
- Flag performance issues to HR department
- Minimum 4 years’ experience as, either a project or department VFX Coordinator
- Extensive experience with Shotgun and MS Office
- Past experience in an art department preferred
- Editorial experience considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Nuke, Maya and other VFX software an asset
- Exceptional negotiation and interpersonal conflict resolution skills
- Proven track record of delivering accurate feedback both in writing and in person
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment handling multiple jobs simultaneously
- Resilient and adaptable to changing priorities
- Highly organized
- Proven ability to prioritize conflicting tasks
- Excellent communication skills in English; both written and verbal
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Able to receive constructive criticism
- Positive attitude and flexible schedule
Canadian or PR Applicants only please
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow and Stargirl.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?