Senior Houdini TD
All applicants must reside in the United States or British Columbia/Ontario if applying within Canada.
Zoic is looking for an experienced Senior Houdini TD to assist in the overall efficiency of the Houdini production pipeline across departments. FX, Lighting, Environments, and other departments as we move more work into the Houdini pipeline. The position reports to the Studio Lead TD, ensuring that new workflows and tools developed follow Zoic’s programming standards and requirements.
The Senior Houdini TD’s role includes, but will not be limited to, optimizing Artists’ Houdini scenes and ensure the IO of data between departments is efficient via tools or workflow recommendations. You will investigate and solve complex puzzles, keeping in mind the impact on the production process and pipeline overall.
Overall, the role will support the management and development of tools and workflows that help digital artists with their daily use of both third party and in-house software and systems. The role requires strong technical and communication skills, between technical and non-technical personnel, as well as a firm understanding of software design, graphics, and production workflow.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with and take direction from Studio Technical Supervisor, Department Supervisors, Pipeline Managers, and Senior TDs as well as working with artists to create support & maintain tools to be integrated into Zoic’s existing pipeline.
- Utilize Python and PySide for tool creation and support
- Work with artists to troubleshoot and fix problems
- Update and maintain tools, techniques and work flows as required
- Develop digital assets (HDAs) per department needs
- Discuss and design solutions shots and sequences which fit within tight computation/storage/time limitations while still achieving the desired creative goals of VFX Supervisors and Creative Directors
- If needed research and optimize artists’ scenes from Houdini and Mantra to simulate and render successfully within allotted time frame and machine resources, such as such as storage, RAM, and clock speed, to maximize efficiency on the farm.
- Debug and repair problematic scenes from Houdini and Mantra/Vray related to effects, simulation, procedural modeling, lighting, rendering, and other disciplines.
- Provide troubleshooting and technical solutions for day-to-day Houdini production problems.
- Work closely with Lighters and Compositors to ensure that all generated FX elements integrate seamlessly in downstream departments.
- Utilize currently available proprietary tools to solve FX and pipeline issues and on occasion develop new small-scale tools to address project or FX/Houdini department issues
- Collaborate with Pipeline department on any required large-scale tools development.
- Stay up-to-date on latest proprietary pipeline tools and workflows from all office locations and regularly share information on these new developments with FX artists
Qualifications, Skills & Software Required
- 4+ years of work experience as a FX or Houdini TD or in a position with similar responsibilities.
- Proficiency in Python
- Proficiency with Houdini
- Experience debugging other users’ scene files and renders
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and work independently on projects without supervision
- Experience with user interface development
- Past pipeline development experience a plus
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented Programming and Design
- Experience with Version Control Systems
- Some experience with Qt. Other UI framework experience a plus
- Knowledge of Python scripting in Houdini, Nuke, and Maya
- C/C++, C#, web development, SQL experience a plus
- Past experience with Shotgun, RV, Cinema4D a plus
- Linux experience a plus. Bash, file IO, process lifecycle
- Able to communicate clearly with the various Zoic departments and locations
- Some experience using Maya, V-Ray, Nuke, Bifrost, Yeti, or Substance Painter a plus
- Some experience using render queuing software a plus
- Basic Python, VEX, HScript, and HDA scripting a plus
- Candidates MUST be located in the United States, British Columbia or Ontario. This is a remote (work from home) position.
- Zoic does not cover relocation costs.
- This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
- Due to the volume of applications, we receive across our different openings we regret that only those selected to interview will be contact.
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include Ozark, See, Sweet Tooth, Superman & Lois, and Legends of Tomorrow.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?