This position is based in Vancouver. All applicants must reside in British Columbia.
Zoic Studios is looking for a Render Wrangler to join our team for the day shift (8am – 4pm). The Render Wrangler position is an entry-level but vital role. The Render Wrangler is responsible for monitoring and optimizing the rendering processes on the render farm, to ensure established priorities are met. This person will also troubleshoot various IT issues as they arise.
Reporting directly to the HOP’s, the Render Wrangler interacts with Visual Effects Artists, Pipeline department, IT, VFX producers/coordinators, and senior management.
- Monitor, manage and keep the render farm operating at optimum efficiency.
- Monitor jobs on the render farm: track completed jobs, identify problematic jobs, follow up and report failed jobs to artists through email, chat and/or in person when possible.
- Ensure that render jobs are properly prioritized in the queue system (allocating resources, transferring jobs, pausing/unpausing as needed) so that production goals are met while monitoring the render farm’s health and status on a regular basis
- Help and support the artists and production teams with render requests and errors.
- Identify and report technical rendering issues.
- Clearly communicate a detailed farm status report to the next Render Wrangler on shift.
- Monitor Zoic infrastructure (servers, render nodes, licenses, etc.) and identify problems.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Ability to understand basic computer components and how they function and troubleshoot problematic hardware (rebooting machines remotely, understanding ram and CPU usage, etc).
- Familiarity with Nuke and Maya/Vray for a better understanding and troubleshooting of errors on the render farm.
- Ability to prioritize work, perform multiple tasks and work under time constraints.
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of Windows operating systems.
- Self-driven, proactive, reliable.
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to adapt and learn new skills as required.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced atmosphere.
Would be nice to have:
- Understanding of the visual effects production process is beneficial.
- Knowledge of a production management system such as Shotgun is a plus
Permanent Residents and Canadian only, please.
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include, Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, Fargo and The Haunting of Bly Manor.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?