This position is based in Vancouver. All applicants must reside in the United States or British Columbia/Ontario if applying within Canada.
Our Vancouver location is currently seeking a Senior FX & Dynamics Artist.
The Senior FX & Dynamics Artist reports to the FX Supervisor and is responsible for creating and contributing to a variety of dynamics and effects work for film, streamed and broadcast television projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help design, create and implement high quality photo-real effects including Water, Fire, Smoke, Explosions, Clouds, Debris, Magical etc.
- Understand and work within the studio/show structure / pipeline.
- Work with TDs and Pipeline to improve FX processes.
- Integrate created elements into scenes with lighting and shading.
- Document developed technologies.
- Report regularly to the FX Supervisor & Lead for creative approvals, technical or administrative concerns.
- Follow the creative direction set forth by the production and communicated by the FX/VFX Leads and Supervisor.
- Stays current with latest technologies, methods, and workflows.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Film/Television as an FX specific Artist.
- Knowledge of and proven ability to use Houdini and Maya to develop high quality photo-real dynamic effects.
- Min. 4 years’ experience using both Maya and Houdini.
- Good understanding of renders such as VRay, RenderMan, Arnold.
- Some past experience with Mantra a big plus.
- Experience with rigid body dynamics and particle systems.
- Adaptable to change of direction during production and in tight deadlines.
- Technical knowledge for problem solving, verbal communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in order to deliver on time and on budget.
- Knowledge of coding/scripting in current production languages Ie: Python, VEX, Hscript, C++, and Mel.
- Thorough understanding of rendering and shading techniques and procedures.
- Understanding of breakout layers for compositing and ability to slap comp FX passes.Excellent English communication both verbal and written.
- Positive attitude.
- Highly organized.
- Problem solving capabilities with a “solution-driven” attitude.
- Strong attention to detail and follow through.
- Experience in fast pace environment.
- Must showcase a comprehensive reel demonstrating photo real FX capabilities as outlined.
- Candidates MUST be located in the United States, British Columbia or Ontario. This is a remote (work from home) position.
- Zoic does not cover relocation costs.
- This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
- Due to the volume of applications we receive across our different openings we regret that only those selected to interview will be contact.
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include Ozark, See, Sweet Tooth, Superman & Lois, and Legends of Tomorrow.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?