This position is based in Vancouver. All applicants must reside in British Columbia/Ontario if applying within Canada or in the United States.
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include, The Haunting of Bly Manor, Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl and Fargo.
“Visual Evolution” is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?
Zoic Studios Vancouver is seeking an experienced Compositing Supervisor to join our team.
This is a key position that will advise the VFX Supervisors and/or Creative Directors regarding the technical and creative capabilities and limitations of the 2D team and work collaboratively to provide solutions. You will work closely with Department Supervisors to bring to life our client’s vision. The Compositing Supervisor reports to the Head of 2D and Head of Digital.
Compositing Supervisors are strong compositors primarily responsible for mentoring, training, and leading a team of compositors to bringing to life the client’s vision. They are responsible for helping to actualize the creative vision of the Client and VFX Supervisor and should speak to the technical and creative abilities and limitations of the compositing discipline in regards to that execution.
- Lead your team to execute client vision via VFX Supervisor artistic direction
- Ensure that shots completed by your team meet the continuity and quality standards for the project
- Enable your team to meet internal and external deadlines within assigned hours
- Ensure your team members experience Zoic as a positive work environment
- Interpret creative needs into actionable tasks where appropriate
- Provide a voice and resource for compositing workflow abilities and limitations to aid the VFX Supervisor and
- Producer in shot methodology planning.
- Oversee the look establishment of key shots
- Execute Compositing Lead tasks when a show does not have one
- Act as a compositor occasionally as scheduling needs
- Work with the Head of 2D to establish and execute secondary compositing facility initiatives in between projects and in down time – tutorials, tool building, etc
- Check all shots prior to review by VFX Supervisor to ensure creative goals/notes have been addressed
- Proactively communicate with Supervisors and Production to ensure all necessary individuals and departments are aware of shot status and potential issues.
- Attend dailies and other meetings as required
- Ensure each of your direct reports receive timely, supportive, and constructive performance feedback, training, and mentorship. Conduct one on ones.
- Provide artist performance data to management and HR on a regular basis. Proactively alert HR, Supervisor, and Producer to ongoing issues and work with HR to develop a communication plan.
- Participate in the selection of team members. Attend and contribute to interviews and recruiting events as requested.
- Assist in identifying, refining, and establishing compositing workflow based on the needs of the show
- Finishing – Able to achieve the highest possible quality within the time available
- Eye – Ability to look at a shot and evaluate and recognize details that work or don’t work in the context of the shot.
- Continuity – Ability to identify and replicate looks across multiple shots to maintain continuity.
Lighting/Render passes – Knowledge and Understanding of usage and manipulation of render passes provided by Lighting.
- Comp Work Habits – Cleanliness of scripts, attention to details, rendering proper output specs etc.
- Note Interpretation – Ability to interpret/reword/communicate notes from a client or supervisor for clarity or breakdown into actionable tasks.
- Delegation – Ability to successfully divide and hand off tasks to others. As a leader – avoid becoming a bottleneck or taking on non-leadership tasks. Able to delegate to Leads for team success
- Organization/Planning – Ability to organize information – emails, notes, workspace, meetings. Ability to create a plan to meet deadlines for themselves and others.
- Bidding – Able to analyze needs and provide accurate estimates for delivery. Ability to assess team capabilities to achieve results within the timeframe that they promised.
- Problem Solving/Investigation – Ability to trouble shoot technical and creative issues
- Professionalism – Act at all times as a Zoic ambassador. Accountable and conscious of how actions impact others.
- Empathy – Ability to understand the perspective of others and adjust accordingly
- Adaptable – Able to adapt to changing priorities or new technology/processes etc. as required
- Integrity – Always seeks to do the right thing for all involved. Owns their decisions.
- Creativity – Ability to think outside the box and/or extrapolate from provided art direction/concept art when needed
- Leadership Communication – Ability to have “Crucial Conversations” to a positive outcome with fellow
- Leaders and team members. Includes being able to provide both positive and negative feedback in a respectful manner.
- Focus – Able to concentrate on the task at hand. Not too easily distracted.
- Availability – Ability and willingness to make time. Ability to balance leadership and project task priorities. Eg: Do you avoid completing one on ones in favour of project tasks
- Innovation/Industry Knowledge – Self-starter in terms of personal development/skills expansion
- Stress Management – Ability to balance the demands of the job and manage their own manner and behaviour. Seeks help when needed. Monitors and takes team stress levels into account. Flags concerns to HR/Production/Supervisors.
- Maya / Vray a plus, but not required
- Houdini a plus, but not required
- Unreal a plus, but not required
- Demo reel that demonstrates overall compositing ability requirements
- References/Experience that can speak to each of the Soft Skills listed above
- Previous Lead Experience on and off the box
- Candidates MUST be located in the United States or British Columbia/Ontario if applying within Canada. This is a remote (work from home) position
- Zoic does not cover relocation costs
- This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned
- Due to the volume of applications we receive across our different openings we regret that only those selected to interview will be contact
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include Ozark, See, Sweet Tooth, Superman & Lois, and Legends of Tomorrow.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?