Character FX Supervisor
This position is based in Vancouver. All applicants must reside in British Columbia/Ontario if applying within Canada or in the United States.
Zoic is in search of a Character FX Supervisor to join our team! The Character FX Supervisor is a Houdini specialist, with extensive production experience, that can develop and test tools for character FX pipelines and lead a team to meet the creative vision for our characters.
- Be responsive to the needs of the CFX department, identifies and defines them, communicates them, and follows up with the Development team
- Review Cloth/Hair/Muscles/Groom based on client requirements and offer feedback in a timely and positive manner
- Participates in the CFX department’s recruitment effort by reviewing and interviewing candidates
- Works with the Head of 3D and Department Manager on expanding the department’s roadmap
- Works within the established pipeline and offers constructive suggestions to improve the process
- Helps develop and explore new ways to enhance results and the CFX team
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in live-action CFX work and previous experience in supervision and/or lead role
- Creative ability and artistic talent, demonstrated by previous work
- Strong knowledge of Houdini, Maya, and Python scripting
- Strong experience in creating a wide variety of simulations (Cloth, Hair, Muscles, Groom, etc.)
- Proficient in building hair/cloth/muscles rigs
- Proficient in Houdini and Knowledgeable in Maya
- Understanding of physics, realistic motion, human anatomy, and assorted natural phenomena at different scales
- Deep understanding of the Houdini dynamics toolsets and ability to quickly pick up proprietary tools and pipeline
- Knowledge of Ziva muscles is plus
- Experience with Houdini and Maya Xgen for grooming is plus
- Experience with Maya, animation, and rigging is plus
- Exceptional technical skills, the ability to learn new software quickly, and a hunger to stay on the leading edge
- Strong willingness to grow, learn new methods, and share knowledge with others
- Ability to manage schedule and expectations alongside with production team
- Ability to showcase show management and people management skills while supervising a show
- Excellent communication skills and an open mind
- Team player able to work in a cooperative, fast-paced environment
- Candidates MUST be located in the United States or British Columbia/Ontario if applying within Canada. At the moment this is a remote (work from home) position.
- Zoic does not cover relocation costs.
- All remote positions require the candidate to have a reliable internet connection via ethernet and work on Pacific Standard Time.
- This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned
- Due to the sheer volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those selected to interview will be contacted.
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is a Visual Effects company that specializes in high end visual effects for television, film, and advertising. Our mantra is Visual Evolution - we focus on every part of the process, from the final picture to the pipeline used to create them.
Are you looking for your next creative and technical challenge? Come join our team!
Why Join Zoic?
- We are an Artist owned and operated VFX studio.
- We love what we do and always stay curious about new technology and techniques.
- We respect work/life balance in a hectic industry.
- We work with a team from all walks of life and backgrounds.