Character FX Supervisor
This position is based in Vancouver. All applicants must reside in British Columbia if applying within Canada or in the United States.
Zoic is in search of a Character FX Supervisor to join our team! The Character FX Supervisor is a Houdini specialist, with extensive production experience, that can develop and test tools for character FX pipelines and lead a team to meet the creative vision for our characters.
- Be responsive to the needs of the CFX department, identifies and defines them, communicates them, and follows up with the Development team
- Review Cloth/Hair/Muscles/Groom based on client requirements and offer feedback in a timely and positive manner
- Participates in the CFX department’s recruitment effort by reviewing and interviewing candidates
- Works with the Head of 3D and Department Manager on expanding the department’s roadmap
- Works within the established pipeline and offers constructive suggestions to improve the process
- Helps develop and explore new ways to enhance results and the CFX team
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in live-action CFX work and previous experience in supervision and/or lead role
- Creative ability and artistic talent, demonstrated by previous work
- Strong knowledge of Houdini, Maya, and Python scripting
- Strong experience in creating a wide variety of simulations (Cloth, Hair, Muscles, Groom, etc.)
- Proficient in building hair/cloth/muscles rigs
- Proficient in Houdini and Knowledgeable in Maya
- Understanding of physics, realistic motion, human anatomy, and assorted natural phenomena at different scales
- Deep understanding of the Houdini dynamics toolsets and ability to quickly pick up proprietary tools and pipeline
- Knowledge of Ziva muscles is plus
- Experience with Houdini and Maya Xgen for grooming is plus
- Experience with Maya, animation, and rigging is plus
- Exceptional technical skills, the ability to learn new software quickly, and a hunger to stay on the leading edge
- Strong willingness to grow, learn new methods, and share knowledge with others
- Ability to manage schedule and expectations alongside with production team
- Ability to showcase show management and people management skills while supervising a show
- Excellent communication skills and an open mind
- Team player able to work in a cooperative, fast-paced environment
- Candidates MUST be located in the United States or British Columbia if applying within Canada. This is a remote (work from home) position
- Zoic does not cover relocation costs
- This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned
- Due to the volume of applications we receive across our different openings we regret that only those selected to interview will be contact
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include Ozark, See, Sweet Tooth, Superman & Lois, and Legends of Tomorrow.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?