Our Vancouver location is currently seeking an Animation Supervisor. This role is for an immediate temporary full time opening with potential for a permanent role for the right candidate.
The Animation Supervisor needs to have exceptional animation and character animation skills as well as strong organizational, administrative, leadership, and communication skills. As he, or she, is responsible for providing day to day guidance and supervision to the animators on their team, previous experience in a supervisory role, with particular experience providing constructive artistic and job performance feedback, is highly desired.
- Attend bid meetings for every episode of all episodic shows to estimate how many animation hours are needed to complete each shot
- Assign animators to shots that are appropriate for their skills and experience
- Communicate the story point and specific shot direction from the client’s spotting session for every shot to the animators
- Creatively oversee all animation shots and give revisions as needed before showing in dailies for the creative director
- Maintain the quality level of animation
- Act as the point of contact for the animation team for the creative director and the supervisors of other departments
- Interpret notes from the creative director and the client and guide the animators to revise their animation accordingly. The Animation Supervisor must understand the thinking process of the client in order to lead the animators in the direction the client expects and avoid things that the client has historically disliked
- Review reels w/ Recruiting, participate in interviews for animators, riggers, and lead animators. Make recommendations on new hires
- Keep track of the status of shots and revisions through the company’s project management software
- Work with coordinators to ensure that important information is gathered and distributed to whoever needs it to ensure that production flows and nothing slips through the cracks
- Work w/ HR to manage performance and morale of assigned artists and to prepare reports to management as needed
- Ensure all new artists to the team receive appropriate orientation and training to be successful
The Animation Supervisor needs solid animation experience, a good eye, effective communication skills and some talent for people and project management, combined with the ability to meet deadlines and to work to a budget. They will have a minimum of 2 years experience in a Lead or Supervisory position and at least 5 years experience as a creature/character animator. They must be able to work as part of the senior creative team, to interpret decisions and notes, and to communicate priorities and vision to the animation crew. They may need to arbitrate sensitively between creative desires and production requirements. They must be able to multitask and handle the pressure of multiple high volume live action television and feature film projects simultaneously.
About Zoic Studios
Zoic Studios is an Award winning VFX company made up of accomplished artists and producers who understand story, process and relationships. Partnership, integrity and enthusiasm are our key founding principles. We have three locations, Los Angeles, New York City and Vancouver, Canada. Some of our recent credits include, Big Eyes, Night at the Museum 3, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend, Once Upon a Time, The 100, and Arrow.
"Visual Evolution" is our mission; we invest in constantly improving our technological and studio processes so that our artists can focus on being creative even in the lightning fast paced world of visual effects. We apply these principles to our work on some of the most VFX intensive film and television projects out there. We like a challenge. Do you?