WildBrain Studios is looking for an experienced Lead Previs/Layout Artist to join our team! You may have known us as DHX Media – we’ve recently changed our name to reflect our renewed commitment to pushing the creative and focusing on the artist experience. At WildBrain we create epic entertainment experiences for kids and family through industry leading animation. Join us and see what other great things are happening at WildBrain!
As a Lead Previs/Layout Artist, you will get to interpret storyboards and realize them into the 3D environment by establishing camera blocking, composition and lens choice. You will work closely with the team to create balanced solutions and ensure that all sequences are delivered on time.
You will get to:
- Create 3D visualizations of storyboard animatics
- Establish camera blocking, composition and lens choice
- Work with the Director to provide coverage options
- Proactively identify possible creative / technical problems with shots
- Ensure the previs team is productive by answering questions that arise
- Train, mentor, and motivate new Previs Artists who are placed on the crew
- Assist previs team in execution of camera lensing and staging, composition and blocking of scenes from storyboard animatics
- Complete assigned sequences within scheduled timeframe
- Ensure shot continuity
- Anticipate, communicate, and troubleshoot any creative or technical issues with assistance from CG Supervisor
- Assist /guide Previs Artists in the organization of their assignments
- Keep current on previs techniques and technology
You will be a great fit on our team if you have…
- 3+ years of experience in Previs for animation or film industry
- Experience in Maya essential
- Ability to interpret storyboards and realize them in a 3D environment
- Firm understanding of cameras, staging, composition, perspective, pacing, timing and cinematography concepts in animation context
- Ability to clearly communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure
Specific skills we’d love to see…
- Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience an asset
- Basic modeling and rigging is an asset
Why work at WildBrain Studios?
At WildBrain Studios, we have awesome benefits/perks and facilities to keep you engaged, committed, and creative. We pride ourselves on our work/life balance, offer events and opportunities for socializing, exercising, and spaces to relax and recharge. Our Vancouver studio is a 75,000-square-foot space where imagination can run wild. Did we mention our studio is also dog-friendly?
For us, quality, creativity and fun go hand in hand! Our teams dig into a diverse range of projects – from preschool and comedy to action-adventure, and work with international partners such as Apple, Netflix, LEGO, DreamWorks, BBC, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and more. We produce high quality Flash, Harmony, and Maya animated series, including Snoopy in Space, Carmen Sandiego, Go, dog. Go!, LEGO Ninjago, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Blaze and the Monster Machines, The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show, Fireman Sam, The Deep and more.
WildBrain is dedicated to creating entertainment content that inspires, entertains and connects kids and families around the world. With some of Canada’s top creative talents, our studio is bursting with energy. If you’re looking for a fun and challenging job and to work alongside some of the industry’s best, a career at WildBrain is right for you!
THANK YOU to all those who express interest in being a part of the WildBrain Studios team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted. WildBrain will accommodate people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required.
About WildBrain Studios
At WildBrain Studios, we put creativity first! Built and based in Canada with studios coast to coast, WildBrain Studios is a global leader in the creation of kids and family entertainment.