Previs/Layout Artist – All Levels
Stellar Creative Lab has just launched in Vancouver with a CG Animated feature.
We live, breathe and love animation. A culture that is creative. A home for your talent. We mentor and train to help you meet your goals. We hire stars – work with the best in the industry. Work with Us!
Stellar Creative Lab is looking for Previs/Layout Artists to join our CG Feature team at our new facility in Vancouver.
Previs/Layout Artists are the film’s cinematographers, and are responsible for creating the cinematic language of the film. The role requires a strong understanding of the principles of cinematography as well as animation. The role of a Previs/ Layout Artist is not only to translate the storyboards into a 3D world, but to use them as a foundation to further develop the story by supporting the characters, the action, and the film through the language of photography.
What We Need:
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of cinematography.
- Character animation and posing for compositional considerations, done to a level that is required to time a sequence as accurately as possible.
- Ability to collaborate and problem solve, not only within the camera team, but also across other departments as needed.
- Proficient knowledge of, and experience with Maya.
Your Main Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bringing the script and storyboards into the 3D world to achieve the vision of the Director and Director of Photography.
- Working with the Director of Photography and the Layout supervisor you are instrumental in creating the film’s shots, blocking in character staging, and animating the cameras.
- Working with the animation team to respond to changes and challenges as needed.
- Final camera work after animation, including any necessary revisions.
- Composing and lensing each shot, blocking character animation for timing and staging and animating any camera movement.
- Working with the editorial team to make sure sequences flow as intended including changes made by the editor.
Your Experience, Talents and Abilities:
- 3+ years experience as a Previs/Layout/Camera artist
- Working experience with one or more professional graphics packages including Maya, Photoshop and After Effects.
- A keen understanding of the principles of cinematography.
- Creative problem solving skills; an ability to find creative solutions to blocking and staging challenges.
- Able to follow direction, and make revisions in a timely manner