The SPE Security, Environmental, Health and Safety Department is currently accepting applications for a regular, full-time Production Safety and Security Specialist for its Canadian operations. This position will be based in Vancouver, British Columbia and will support SPE’s motion picture/television productions and corporate offices across Canada.
The position is responsible for ensuring the overall health & safety of the SPE Canadian workforce, both corporate and production based, and the physical safety of Corporate offices, production locations and facilities. Primary responsibilities include; the development/implementation/ongoing maintenance of programs necessary to ensure a safe and healthful work environment; ensuring compliance with applicable, Province specific government regulations relating to occupational health and safety as well as recognized motion picture/TV best management practices and internal SPE Health and Safety Policy and Procedure; providing supplementary support on security issues between the production’s management, crew members, and SPE Production Security, including briefing of producers, crew, and staff on security matters for all general and specific security concerns.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and written skills. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work independently with minimal oversight or direct supervision. This position will report to the Executive Director, Production Safety and Security based in Culver City, CA.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Represent the SPE SEHS/Production Safety & Security Group in Canada
- Develop and maintain working relationships with production and SPE Corporate management, acting as a resource for Security safety and health compliance solutions.
- In conjunction with SEHS management, assist in the development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of Province specific safety programs to ensure compliance with existing and future occupational safety and health regulations.
- Review all motion picture scripts, call sheets and one-liners to identify potential safety concerns. Work in conjunction with Producers and key Department Heads to develop and implement corrective action plans prior to production commencing.
- As necessary, attend location and technical scouts, production meetings and physical production.
- Facilitate employee training when necessary and/or required.
- Assist in the implementation of Joint Health and Safety Committees, and ensure ongoing meetings are undertaken and in compliance with regulation. Liaison with National and Province specific regulatory agencies on behalf of SPE as necessary.
- Represent SPE within Industry Safety Alliances (i.e. ActSafe, Section 21).
- Develop a resource network of SEHS consultants and service providers across Canada to provide professional ancillary support and services as needed.
- Have a strong understanding of motion picture and television production and how Safety and health programs are incorporated into the production environment.
- Have a strong knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health principles. Work independently without immediate management supervision.
- Have a working knowledge of basic security functions and the ability to assess and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Coordinate with Emergency Management personnel and SPE Global Security Operations Center (GSOC) staff to ensure key site and staffing personnel are identified in the event of incident or disaster.
- Work closely with all SPE production, publicity, and other corporate teams to ensure the necessary resources, policies and processes are deployed to protect the company’s employees, physical property, intellectual property, and operations regardless of the security staff or vendors involved.
- Work directly with SPE Production in the planning and execution phase of all remote filming – assess security needs, security appropriate vendors, and identify opportunity for efficiencies.
- Provide appropriate introductions to key production staff with our internal SPE Production Security team for coordination and escalation.
- Position works independently with minor supervision and oversight.
- Position requires moderate to extensive travel in Canada and periodic travel to the United States. Additionally, the position may require travel to other countries outside North America. Must possess and be able to maintain a valid passport.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited university, preferably in the field of biology, chemistry, safety management, fire science, industrial hygiene or environmental science. Other degrees specific to the motion picture/tv industry will be considered.
- Experience in the field of occupational safety, EH&S, fire science/prevention, or industrial hygiene, or experience with motion picture and television physical production.
- Ability to obtain a professional accreditation, (i.e. CSP, CIH, IBOSH/NEBOSH) preferred.
- Working knowledge of occupational safety, fire prevention, structural engineering and industrial hygiene practices preferred.
- Strong knowledge of motion picture/TV industry physical production practices and operations.
Experience working in Canada across all Provinces.
- Ability to travel, both domestic and international. Position requires up to 50% travel.
- A self-starter with demonstrated ability to develop and achieve measurable goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong communicator who can speak clearly, persuasively and elicit cooperation.
- Able to work independently with little direct supervision and oversight.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced and fluid work environment where changing priorities are the norm and flexibility is a must.
- Position requires 24/7 accessibility, including nights and weekends.
Please apply online with resume and cover letter:
About Sony Pictures Imageworks
ABOUT SONY PICTURES IMAGEWORKS
• Website: http://www.imageworks.com/
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SonyPicturesImageworks
• Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageworksvfx
• YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/imageworksvfx