CONCEPT ARTIST – CONTRACT
The Concept Artist visualizes environments, characters, vehicles, colour schemes, and the overall mood and feel of the project. Taking direction from the creative executive team, the concept artist works within a set style guide. Partnering with pre-vis and pre-production stakeholders the concept artist has the ability to both work out quick sketches, source images, and provide more polished illustrations to inspire the client and the team.
• Traditional illustration skills in a variety of media as well as excellent drawing skills, and/or paint skills.
• Demonstrated ability to draw in perspective: environments, characters, landscapes, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to think in 3D: great use of light and shadow.
• Concept development throughout pre-production including original & re-worked concept designs.
• Ability to interpret and create a strong mood
• Translate ideas to visuals through traditional drawing tools, painting tools.
• Adaptable to various styles eg. Style set by art director, client, & executive team.
• Contribute ideas and suggestions to create clarity to sometimes abstract or high level requests.
• Create quick sketches to inspire the team, present to clients.
• Develop sketches to render out more details as need.
• Quickly and effectively re-work and refine visuals as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Product Design, Interior Design preferred and/or equivalent experience
• 5+ years’ experience as a concept artist in creative digital industry (games, film, vfx)
• Strong Photoshop (required)
• Knowledge of other 3D art software packages a plus. (or any other art software packages)
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision; strong trouble shooting/problem solving ability
• Open and flexible to feedback and shifting requirements.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you’re applying for a different position.
ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you’re not lost in the system.
Resume – Include in your resume the names of the company’s you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
Cover Letter – tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.
Reel Breakdown – demonstrates what you did on each shot and the tools used – Go ahead! Show off your talent/skills here.
About Scanline VFX
Celebrating over 25 years in the industry, Scanline VFX specializes in creating complex visual effects for high end, block buster feature films with studios worldwide: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Munich, and Stuttgart. Founded in Germany, the company expanded to Los Angeles in 2007 and opened the largest studio in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in 2011. In 2015 it won the Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects for their work on Game of Thrones. Scanline VFX has received multiple Academy Award Nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 2014 for Iron Man 3 and in 2010 for its work on director Clint Eastwoods Hereafter. We are also well known for our proprietary, in-house fluid effects software Flowline, for which it received a 2008 Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award.
Today, it is one of the biggest names in the industry and the go-to studio for creating epic, breathtaking cinematic moments. Current productions include: Justice League Part One, Independence Day Resurgence, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Power Rangers, Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Ben Hur, The Promise, and several other projects to be announced soon.
Recent projects include Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, Game of Thrones, Furious 7, San Andreas, The 5th Wave, Point Break, Hateful 8, and In the Heart of the Sea. Past films include Exodus, The Hunger Games Mockingjay, 300: Rise of an Empire, Captain America: Winter Soldier, White House Down, Godzilla, The Wolf of Wall Street, Snowpiercer, Journey 2, Blackhat, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Looper, Cloud Atlas, A Good Day to Die Hard, The Amazing Spiderman, Divergent, Pompeii, Iron Man 3, Into the Storm, The Avengers, Battleship, The Invasion, Poseidon, Immortals, Super 8, 2012, Hereafter, 300, Poseidon, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
Scanline VFX offers a leading edge creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant talent from around the globe. Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, BC the studio is steps from transit, the best in the city’s trendy Yaletown dining and Robson high street shopping. On site amenities include a lounge/nightclub with big screen projector tv, pool table and foosball tables, over-sized patios and rooftop deck kitchen & BBQ areas, secure bicycle storage, massage chairs, showers and lockers. Experience fun team events, parties, sporting activities, local business discounts and much more.