Rainmaker / Mainframe Studios is on the lookout for a talented Character Designer on an exciting upcoming TV Series, Made By Maddie. Created by Paula Rosenthal, and Produced by Silvergate Media (known for Sunny Day and Peter Rabbit), this animated series follows a little girl, Maddie, in the high fashion world as she makes everything around her a bit brighter, bolder and more brilliant, one design fix at a time.
Under the guidance of the Supervisor and Leads, the Surfacing Artist creates and applies surface textures for characters, props, and environments based on the determined look and visual style of the project.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Surfacing Supervisor and the Leads, the Surfacing Artist implements textures by using digital painting, image mapping, photographic, or procedural techniques based on the determined look of a show.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Rainmaker: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline preferred.
- Basic experience in UV mapping and texture layout using Maya.
- Strong painting skills in Photoshop, Substance Painter and Mudbox.
- Basic proficiency using a variety of rendering tools including Mental Ray, Renderman, or Redshift is required.
- Skilled in creating various types of materials in Substance Designer to work with Substance Painter and Renderers a plus.
- Understanding of shading network in Maya and material network in Substance Designer.
- Eye for detail and good design sense is essential.
- Basic experience in advanced surfacing techniques such as global illumination and subsurface scattering.
- Strong aptitude for verbal and visual presentation skills.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active.
- Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong team player.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.