Rainmaker / Mainframe Studios is on the lookout for a talented Environment Designer on an exciting upcoming TV Series, Made By Maddie. Created by Paula Rosenthal, and Produced by Silvergate Media (known for Sunny Day and Peter Rabbit), this animated series follows a little girl, Maddie, in the high fashion world as she makes everything around her a bit brighter, bolder and more brilliant, one design fix at a time.
Under the guidance of the Art Director, the Lead Environment Designer will create conceptual artwork in both 2D and 3D. If you love to design environments then this is the role for you!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Art Director, the Lead Environment Designer explores design options and defines the style of the project that best supports the overall creative vision for the story. They will create design to be used in production.
- Develops design styles and explores techniques which lead to establishing the standards of creativity and complexity for the project.
- Oversees the creation of the project’s look, style and complexity level and ensures their design consistency.
- Supports the Production Designer/Art Director with artist evaluation and casting.
- Crafts innovative designs and supports the Production Designer/Art Director in ensuring that all design elements can successfully translate to functioning assets and their look, style and complexity level meet the set creative objectives and fall within the confines of the project’s timeline and fiscal parameters.
- Provides input for artist’s performance review to the Production Designer/Art Director.
- Ability to prioritize artwork creation and completion pending production requirements.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the team to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Partners with the production team and other departments in tracking and ensuring the on-time completion of art deliverables.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director, Art Director and Production Designer in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Collaborates with production management team to ensure that all required design elements as introduced by story artists are created.
- Collaborates with modelers to test efficacy of 3D elements, modifying designs as required.
- Responsible for selected art deliverables conceptual phase through development, completion and approval in accordance with the production’s budget and schedule.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
- 3-5+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Highly creative, the Lead Environment Designer is able to hone in on crafting a variety of visual development styles as required by the project.
- In-depth knowledge of anatomy, proportion, perspective and composition, with a strong ability to visualize perspective and 3-dimensional space.
- Extensive experience in drawing, illustration and/or painting is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of modeling, rigging and animation.
- Advanced level proficiency using Photoshop is required. Extensive experience with After Effects, ZBrush, Corel Painter, Illustrator and Maya is considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely. Proactively communicates production issues to supervisor.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Incorporates feedback and direction received from Director/Supervisor.Ability to inspire team by example; provide constructive feedback and draws out excellence.
- Proven abilities to manage design team to create artwork from conceptual phase through final artwork deliverables.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, and accountable with a solid work ethic and positive attitude under pressure.
- Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet or exceed design objectives within the production budget and scheduled parameters.