Rainmaker / Mainframe Studios is in need of a talented Hair/Fur Artist to support various projects in the studio. Under the guidance of the Principal Hair/Fur Artist, Surfacing Supervisor, and/or Art Director, on a CG animated show, the Hair/Fur Artist creates, grooms and applies hair and fur to characters, based on the determined look and visual style of the project.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Principal Hair/Fur Artist, the Hair/Fur Artist creates and implements hair/fur surfacing and grooming of assets by using hair/fur grooming tools, digital painting and image mapping based on the determined look of a show.
- Collaborates with the lighting, surfacing and simulation teams to ensure techniques are being achieved and processes are followed.
- Collaborates with modeling, lighting, rigging and simulation teams to troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Quality checks that all elements are final, approved and ready for lighting department.
- Collaborates with CG Supervisor in order to manage render times required and final delivery.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director(s) and/or supervisors in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Rainmaker that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Experience with Yeti, Shave and Haircut or Xgen is required
- Experience in UV mapping and texture layout using Maya.
- Advanced painting skills in Photoshop and Substance Painter with a strong understanding of colour theory and application.
- Proficiency using a variety of rendering tools including Red Shift, Renderman, Arnold and Maya is required.
- Eye for detail and good design sense is essential.
- Experience in advanced surfacing techniques such as global illumination and subsurface scattering.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate ideas clearly. Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active.
- Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.