Rainmaker / Mainframe Studios is on the lookout for an experienced Animation Director on an exciting upcoming TV Series, Made By Maddie. Created by Paula Rosenthal, and Produced by Silvergate Media (known for Sunny Day and Peter Rabbit), this animated series follows a little girl, Maddie, in the high fashion world as she makes everything around her a bit brighter, bolder and more brilliant, one design fix at a time.
Under the guidance of the Director, on a CG animated film, the Animation Director provides creative leadership to the animation team.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Defines the creative style of a project’s animation.
- Defines and implements techniques and processes that help realize and enhance the performance of characters.
- Ensures that the animation team is motivated to achieve the highest standards possible within the parameters of the production plan.
- Oversees character consistency throughout film, ensuring that key character and story moments are supported through performance.
- Evaluates and casts animators to characters/sequences/shots that best suit to their skill set.
- Collaborates with creative and technical staff to ensure animation feasibility within the confines of schedule and budget.
- Maximizes re-use where applicable.
- Collaborates with Producer and HR on managing performance. Responsible for completing artist’s performance reviews.
- Attends meetings and coordinates efforts with other production staff and supervisors to facilitate optimal production flow.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and support to the team.
- Provides coaching, mentoring and training as necessary.
- Partners with production management in tracking and ensuring the on-time delivery of high quality shots.
- Ensures that the animators are achieving balance, composition and timing requirements in a way that supports performance, story and character.
- Guides animators, leads and supervisors to creatively enhance material in order to achieve set standards of performance and complexity.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director in a timely manner and of highest quality.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Rainmaker: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- Expert understanding of principles of animation.
- Superior knowledge of anatomy, perspective and composition.
- Advanced knowledge of modeling, character rigging and facial animation.
- Highly skilled in classical animation, stop animation or claymation.
- Advanced level of proficiency in using Maya is required.
- Must demonstrate outstanding storytelling, filmmaking, creative and artistic abilities.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; ability to clearly pitch and present story, art materials etc.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership skills; ability to direct and inspire a crew to deliver high quality animation.
- Ability to communicate process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
- Highly motivated, solid work ethic and positive attitude, flexible and calm demeanor. Ability to work well under pressure. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Creatively solves problems, makes decisions in a timely manner and accepts accountability for own actions.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Thorough knowledge of the production process. Knowledge of the pipeline is considered an asset.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improves skill set to remain at cutting edge of industry trends.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
START DATE: APRIL/MAY 2019