The Digital Matte Painter works closely with the VFX Supervisor to realize the client’s vision. The position requires a high degree of technical skill and artistic judgment. The Matte Painter is responsible for creating photoreal environments and landscapes, as well as creating elements and textures for matching into live action plates or standing as their own matte painting plates. They must also have a sound knowledge and understanding of visual effects pipelines, production and implementation, as well as the ability to work well in a team.
- Create synthetic backgrounds and environments to match the overall look and needs of a given project based on concept art and/or photo reference
- Integrating matte paintings into 3D environments using Maya and/or Nuke
- Contribute to the visual and technical attributes of productions
- Assist in troubleshooting background components created
- Consult with clients and other artists on the team as required
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a digital matte painter in a production environment for live action projects, preferably on feature films
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with 3D Maya software and strong compositing and 3D projection skills in Nuke
- A good understanding of 2D and 3D workflows within a production environment
- Knowledge of design, photography, and digital processes an asset
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Possess a strong understanding of light, colour and perspective
- Possess excellent artistic communication skills, as well as an excellent eye for detail
- Flexibility to produce concept art from scratch is a plus
- Knowledge of Vue software is a plus
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé and your current or upcoming availability with subject line “Matte Painter” and your name, as in: “Matte Painter – John Smith”. We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Ant-man”, “San Andreas”, “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “Pelé”, “Tarzan”, “5th Wave”, “King Arthur,” and several upcoming Marvel projects!