Method Studios Vancouver is looking for technical animators to join us on current feature film projects to start in January.
The role of the Technical Animator is designing, simulating and delivering elements in shots that involve cloth, hair or other specialist technology. Working under the direction of the CG Supervisor the Technical Animator collaborates with other 3D Leads including Layout, Animation, Modeling, Rigging and any other appropriate discipline.
Duties and responsibilities
• Work with Model department to ensure geometry being simulated meets Technical Animation needs
• Work with Rigging and/or Layout department to ensure geometry or rigs delivered to Technical Animation meets needs
• Apply and simulate clothing, hair or other areas requiring technical animation.
• Analyze and fix any initial problems found and resimulate as needed.
• Deliver simulated geometry to the production pipeline for further processing.
• Ensure that geometry delivered to production pipeline meets each department’s needs
• Develop techniques to ensure the requested animated geometry will integrate into a photorealistic environment.
• Respond quickly to notes from the VFX/DFX or CG Supervisor(s) before or during dailies to ensure best possible quality is maintained.
• Optimize simulations to ensure best throughput including automating pinning of geometry etc.
• Other duties as appropriate to the role and determined by supervisors
• Good working knowledge in a production environment with Maya.
• Houdini knowledge a plus
• Good working knowledge of hair, fur, and cloth simulation software such as Yeti, Shave & a Haircut, and nCloth
• Good working knowledge of rigging on live action feature film or television productions
• Good understanding of sculpting geometry
• Character animation experience on live action feature film or television productions
• Excellent problem solving and communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills with an emphasis on inspired leadership
• Tracking experience is desireable
• A strong sense of self-motivation and ability to work with little supervision
• Linux scripting experience, especially in Bash/Python is desirable
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé, demo reel with breakdowns, and your current or upcoming availability with subject line “Technical Animator” and your name, as in: “Technical Animator – John Smith”. We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: Ant-man, San Andreas, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, Jupiter Ascending, The Maze Runner, Into The Storm, Snowpiercer, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Maleficent, Thor 2, Cloud Atlas, Argo, Dark Shadows, Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Clash of the Titans 2, Contagion, and Elysium.
Upcoming feature film work include: Geostorm, 5th Wave, Pelé, Tarzan, King Arthur and more Marvel projects!