Reporting to the Animation Supervisor, the Senior Animator is responsible for hands on operation of the CG workstation as well as additional leadership and management of the CG team. Design and execution of high level animation for use in final compositing is part of the daily work. The position requires a high degree of technical skill and artistic judgement, as well as managerial skills for providing support, both technical and otherwise for the CG team as required. In addition, the Senior Animator serves as a key front-line representative of the company and frequently deals directly with clients in challenging situations. Accordingly, a professional demeanor and diplomacy are important.
- Provide ongoing information and feedback to the Animation Supervisor regarding issues in the CG department
- Assist in hiring and other HR issues related to the CG department
- Ensure proper work flow methodology for all artists
- Work with CG software: any or all of Maya, Softimage and Boujou for visual effects intensive projects
- Modeling, texturing and surfacing, choreography and lighting, match moving and final rendering of CG elements
- Maintain logs, data and work orders as required to efficiently track the status of work
- Consult with clients and other artists on the team as required
- Attend projects on set to provide technical information as required
- Investigate and keep up to date on new and competing software packages and technology
- Other miscellaneous duties as required from time-to-time by the Managing Director of Visual Effects
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in character and creature animation
- Experience in live action animation (television or film) preferred
- Good working knowledge in Maya required
- Additional animation software experience in other animation software an asset, especially in Houdini, XSI, and MotionBuilder
- Knowledge of rigging is an asset
- Knowledge of Nuke is an asset
- Knowledge of Shotgun is an asset
- Knowledge of scripting (MEL, python) is an asset
- Working knowledge of motion capture is an asset
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé and your current or upcoming availability with subject line “Senior Animator” and your name, as in: “Senior Animator – John Smith”. We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Ant-man”, “San Andreas”, “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “Pelé”, “Tarzan”, “5th Wave”, “King Arthur,” and several upcoming Marvel projects!