The Lighter is responsible for hands on operation of a CG workstation to create desired lighting effects across shots and sequences. The position requires a high degree of technical skill and artistic judgment. Although more of an artistic role than a technical role, some technical understanding is beneficial. The lighter must be able to balance artistic requirement with the technical limitations of the software and hardware employed.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Work with and support the Lead Lighter, CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor to fulfill the creative vision of the show within technical parameters
• Help create and/or modify lighting templates, as required
• Troubleshoot technical production issues, as required
• Must work within the Method pipeline and publish tools and scripts as prescribed
• Must manage own disc space to fit within quota
• Communicate creative and technical issues effectively
• Be aware of inefficiencies in any area of the pipeline that are impacting the lighting artists’ ability to work efficiently, and flag these issues as necessary
• Work to help correct inefficiencies with the artists and TDs available
• Other miscellaneous duties as required from time-to-time by the Lighting Lead
• Minimum two years experience as a lighter on live action, feature film projects
• Excellent artistic skills, with a particular emphasis on real-world lighting/photography an asset
• Full understanding of colour theory and LUTs
• Expert knowledge of Maya and/or possibly Houdini
• Tool building and scripting knowledge an asset (Python, hscript, mel, bash)
• Knowledge of one or more of the following renderers, depending on show requirements: vray, mantra, mentalray, renderman
• Knowledge of Nuke and Photoshop an asset
• Demonstrable ability to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
• Able to take directions and adaptable to change
• Good at improvising and problem-solving
• Linux experience preferred
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé and your current or upcoming availability with subject line “Lighter” and your name, as in: “Lighter – John Smith”. We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Ant-man”, “San Andreas”, “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “Pelé”, “Tarzan”, “5th Wave”, “King Arthur,” and several upcoming Marvel projects!