Reporting to the Pipeline Supervisor, the Assistant Technical Director (ATD) will be involved in the creation and ongoing support of a large high-end visual effects pipeline and asset/project management system, as well as Maya or Houdini tools and utilities. This is a service-oriented role and the ATD should have a helpful, patient and accommodating personality.
Work closely with production teams, artists, and supervisors to gather information on pipeline needs
- Develop and maintain scripts to optimize various tasks for production
- Create, package, and release tools and tool projects using proprietary technology
- Debug problematic scenes in Maya, Houdini, Nuke, and other packages.
- Work as triage, acting as the point person for production-related queries to the pipeline department, diagnosing technical issues and address them directly or escalate to the pipeline team
- Validate issues of artists and clearly express technical issues that come from artists in a way that is reproducible
- Identify workflow inefficiencies and work with artists and other pipeline teams to build systems to improve these inefficiencies
- Monitor bug reports filed by productions
- Programming experience, preferably in Python, C++, MEL, and/or java
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree, ideally in a technical field
- Good knowledge of CG software packages such as Maya, Houdini, Nuke
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with relational databases and/or SQL a plus
- Good understanding Bash/cshell/Linux
- Knowledge of render queuing software a plus
- Experience in code-sharing, revision control
- Experience writing or working with shaders for vray, Renderman, Mantra, Mental Ray or other production renderers an asset
- Knowledge of Shotgun or asset management systems a plus
This is a full-time position requiring some overtime.
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé and your current or upcoming availability with subject line “Junior ATD” and your name, as in: “Junior ATD – John Smith”. We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Ant-man”, “San Andreas”, “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “Pelé”, “Tarzan”, “5th Wave”, “King Arthur,” and several upcoming Marvel projects!