The Digital Effects (DFX) Supervisor ensures throughput of shots towards timely completion, via client’s approval, and maintains a functioning environment where the DFX Supervisor and client can focus on artistic performance without technology hindrance. The DFX Supervisor works with the VFX Supervisor, Producer and Production Manager and is responsible for developing a strong, flexible CG and 2D pipeline. This includes developing, maintaining (or approving) techniques, provide team-building through developing structure, lead artists roles and responsibilities. The DFX Supervisor also works with the Project Coordinator and Producer to facilitate scheduling of artists and resources and works with the VFX Supervisors to provide artistic and technical notes to the team. R&D, following CG elements from concept through final comp and overseeing all elements created by the CG team is also part of this role. The DFX Supervisor may be called upon to work “on the box” as an artist as show size and needs require.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Visual Targets and Quality
Addresses the body of work arriving from scanning. Previews for initial colour correction requirements and initial shot composite requirements.
Monitors shot continuity in all aspects of quality control including final colour correction for timeable delivery.
- View reels / recommend artists for interview
- Attend interviews / interview candidates
- Recommend candidates for hiring in consultation with leads
- Ensure leads are fluent with production techniques
- Define crew training plans with leads
- Oversee training of new team members
- One-on-one training with team members
- Assist leads where necessary with training
- Facilitate production needs of every team member
- Correct and caution team members as necessary
- Maintain team morale / provide incentives
- Test new techniques and technology as necessary
- Help leads and crew develop “one-off” techniques as necessary
- Scheduling and Daily Work
- Team scheduling and shifts with Production team
- Monitors resources, throughout each day, and delegates work priorities based on fluctuations in schedule and shot progress.
- Oversees the management of the render farm and resource workload. Monitors render queue and reviews previous night logs for deviances, on a daily basis.
- Reviews progress of shots for deliveries, on a daily basis, and approves shots as ready for deliveries when the criteria are met.
- Occasionally performs as a Senior Compositor as needed, completing shots towards final and troubleshooting shot related issues.
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé and your current or upcoming availability with subject line “DFX Supervisor” and your name, as in: “DFX Supervisor – John Smith”. We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Ant-man”, “San Andreas”, “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “Pelé”, “Tarzan”, “5th Wave”, “King Arthur,” and several upcoming Marvel projects!