Method Studios Vancouver is looking for a HOUDINI PIPELINE TD to join our pipeline team for upcoming feature film projects.
The Houdini Pipeline Technical Director will be involved in the creation and ongoing support of a large high-end visual effects pipeline and asset/project management system, as well as Houdini tools and utilities. This is a service-oriented role and the TD should have a helpful, patient and accommodating personality.
- Develop and maintain scripts, tools and utilities for Houdini artists
- Work in and understand the proprietary pipeline, and help develop and maintain this pipeline
- Create, package, and release tools and tool projects using proprietary technology
- Assist artists in technical issues, help debug any Houdini-related or general pipeline related issues, and help debug rendering and dispatching issues
- Work as a “triage” TD from time-to-time, acting as the point person for any and all production-related queries to the pipeline department
- Identify workflow inefficiencies and work with artists and other pipeline teams to build systems to improve these inefficiencies
- 3+ years of experience as a pipeline TD
- Experience in a VFX production environment preferred
- Expert knowledge of Houdini
- Some experience as a Houdini artist
- Strong Python scripting abilities
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Bash/cshell/Linux knowledge
- Knowledge of render queuing software
- Good understanding of relational databases and/or SQL
- Experience in code-sharing, revision control using Git and/or SVN
- Experience writing shaders for Renderman, Mantra, and other production renderers an asset
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computing Science a plus
- Knowledge of Shotgun or asset management a plus
- Some knowledge of Maya and Nuke a plus
- C/C++ abilities a plus
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé, demo reel with breakdowns, and your upcoming availability with subject line “Houdini Pipeline TD” and your name, as in: “Houdini Pipeline TD – John Smith”. Canadian or Permanent Residents preferred. This is a full-time, contract position. Salary TBD based on experience.
We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “The Judge”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “San Andreas”, “Pelé”, and “Tarzan”.