Method Studios Vancouver is currently looking for a Database Developer to join our team for current and upcoming feature film work.
The Database Developer is involved in the creation and ongoing support of software and database infrastructure for a large high-end visual effects pipeline/workflow. The primary focus of this position will be the asset management, HPC, and distributed systems at Method Studios including the databases, messaging and statistics systems and related tools. Production support of shows and departments will also be part of the Database Developer’s responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing new pipeline software and improving existing database and infrastructure software
- Problem solving in a dynamic environment to produce high quality, easy to maintain code and systems
- Re-factoring existing systems for use in a new multi-facility pipeline
- Collaborating with a team of developers and artists across Method locations to develop database and distributed software
- Documenting software, databases, and systems for users, sysadmins, and other developers
- Production support of above systems in an urgent and timely fashion
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computing Science, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years professional development experience
- Experience developing and maintaining databases in high-performance computing environments
- Experience programming in Python
- Experience with both relational databases and no-SQL databases
- Excellent knowledge of message queueing systems such as RabbitMQ, ZeroMQ or similar
- Excellent knowledge of distributed task queues such Grid engine, Celery, Rush or similar
- A solid background in distributed computing algorithms and data structures
- Experience with Subversion, Git, CVS or similar
- Experience developing on UNIX/Linux
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Experience testing code and ability to create clear documentation
- Ability to develop code independently or as part of a team
- Experience working in Film or TV Visual Effects is an asset, but not required
Please e-mail van-recruiting[at]methodstudios.com with your résumé and your upcoming availability with subject line “Database Developer” and your name, as in: “Database Developer – John Smith”. Canadian or Permanent Residents preferred. This is a full-time, contract position. Salary TBD based on experience.
We thank all candidates in advance for applying but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Located in Vancouver at 50 W. 2nd Avenue, Method Studios is an award-winning, international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, Method Studios services high-end feature film, commercial, television, games, and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace. Built around an exceptional team of VFX professionals, our international facilities provide a full range of services including conceptual design, look development, on-set supervision, 3D animation/CGI, matte painting, compositing, and finishing. With its global reach accented by its boutique accessibility, the company has the capacity to service its clientele wherever production is situated.
Recent feature credits for Method include: “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb”, “Jupiter Ascending”, “The Maze Runner”, “The Giver”, “The Judge”, “Into The Storm”, “Snowpiercer”, “X-Men: Days of Future Past”, “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Maleficent”, “Thor 2”, “Cloud Atlas”, “Argo”, “Dark Shadows”, “Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2”, “Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter”, “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, “Clash of the Titans 2”, “Contagion”, and “Elysium”.
Upcoming feature work includes: “San Andreas”, “Pelé”, and “Tarzan”.