Method Studios is an award-winning international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, London, Melbourne and Montreal. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, we service high-end feature film, commercial, television, games and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace.
The role of the Technical Animator is designing, simulating and delivering elements in shots that involve cloth, hair or other specialist technology. Working under the direction of the CG Supervisor, the Technical Animator collaborates with other 3D Leads including Layout, Animation, Modeling, Rigging and any other appropriate discipline.
- Work with Model department to ensure geometry being simulated meets Technical Animation needs
- Work with Rigging and/or Layout department to ensure geometry or rigs delivered to Technical Animation meets needs
- Apply and simulate clothing, hair or other areas requiring technical animation.
- Analyze and fix any initial problems found and resimulate as needed.
- Deliver simulated geometry to the production pipeline for further processing.
- Ensure that geometry delivered to production pipeline meets each department’s needs
- Develop techniques to ensure the requested animated geometry will integrate into a photorealistic environment.
- Respond quickly to notes from the VFX/DFX or CG Supervisor(s) before or during dailies to ensure best possible quality is maintained.
- Optimize simulations to ensure best throughput including automating pinning of geometry etc.
- Other duties as appropriate to the role and determined by supervisors
- 3+ year experience
- Good working knowledge in a production environment with Maya.
- Houdini knowledge a plus
- Good working knowledge of hair, fur, and cloth simulation software such as Yeti, Shave & a Haircut, nCloth, and
- Marvelous Designer
- Good working knowledge of rigging and muscle systems on live action feature film or television productions
- Good understanding of sculpting geometry
- Character animation experience on live action feature film or television productions
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an emphasis on inspired leadership
- Tracking experience is desirable
- A strong sense of self-motivation and ability to work with little supervision
- Linux scripting experience, especially in Bash/Python is desirable
This is a full-time contract position requiring periodic overtime.