The Digital Matte Painter works closely with the VFX Supervisor to realize the client’s vision. The position requires a high degree of technical skill and artistic judgment. The Matte Painter is responsible for creating photoreal environments and landscapes, as well as creating elements and textures for matching into live action plates or standing as their own matte painting plates. They must also have a sound knowledge and understanding of visual effects pipelines, production and implementation, as well as the ability to work well in a team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create synthetic backgrounds and environments to match the overall look and needs of a given project based on concept art and/or photo reference
- Integrate matte paintings into 3D environments using Maya and/or Nuke
- Contribute to the visual and technical attributes of productions
- Assist in troubleshooting background components created
- Consult with clients and other artists on the team as required
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a digital matte painter in a production environment for live action projects, preferably on feature films
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with 3D Maya software and strong compositing and 3D projection skills in Nuke
- A good understanding of 2D and 3D workflows within a production environment
- Knowledge of design, photography, and digital processes an asset
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Possess a strong understanding of light, colour and perspective
- Possess excellent artistic communication skills, as well as an excellent eye for detail
- Flexibility to produce concept art from scratch is a plus
- Knowledge of Vue software is a plus
Does this position sound right up your alley? We’re looking for awesome people to do awesome work, so apply now!
About Method Studios
Method Studios is an award-winning international visual effects group with facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, London, Sydney and Melbourne. As an artist-driven company known for its creativity, we service high-end feature film, commercial, television, games and motion graphics clients in the global marketplace.