Mainframe Studios is on the lookout for an experienced Compositing Artist to join our team on a current production! Following the guidance of the Compositing Artist Supervisor or Lead, on a CG animated film, the
Compositing Artist composes scenes and sequences to meet the art and story direction. The
Compositing Artist utilizes their artistic and technical skills to create seamless integration of CG
elements and is responsible for compositing multiple types of shots from simple to moderately difficult.
Responsibilities and Duties
- The Compositing Artist is responsible for integrating all layers including animation, the environment, lighting and effects in order to create the final shot. He/she is able to manage the renders and setup the shots technically.
- Ability to work with the lighting and rendering pipeline and capable of troubleshooting common rendering and lighting technical issues.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Strong aesthetic skills and proficiency in shot composition, lighting and compositing.
- Detail oriented, he/she must maintain overall shot and sequence aesthetic consistency and ensure that the output is artifact free.
- Working knowledge of Maya and Nuke is required. Knowledge of XSI, Houdini and rendering software such as Shake, Digital Fusion and/or After Effects is considered an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of compositing.
- Knowledge of principals of photography (such as knowledge of cameras, fstop and shutter speed) and lighting are considered an asset.
- Strong understanding of colour theory and application.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely. Practices attentive and active listening.
- Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and proactive.
- Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Ability to fulfill compositing assignment objectives per the production schedule.