WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the VP Creative Technology and R&D, the Studio CG Supervisor is responsible for evaluating the requirements of the various studio projects, using the existing pipeline and tools and establishing new techniques, to advance the workflow/pipeline for the studio while exploring efficient and streamlined options to stay within each project’s creative goals and budgetary parameters while meeting each projects desired visual styles.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Leads the show’s CG Supervisors to achieve the agreed look within the pipeline.
- Collaborates with the CG Supervisors and Producers to ensure that their CG plan is feasible for their productions.
- Under the guidance of the VP Creative Technology and the PT Department, establishing new techniques, to advance the workflow/pipeline for the studio.
- Under the guidance of the VP Creative Technology and the PT Department sets objective and goals for new tools and pipeline steps.
- Collaborates with the CG Supervisors to ensure techniques are being achieved and processes are followed.
- Mentors and trains the CG Supervisors to consistently strive towards excellence. Provides vision, feedback, motivation, and encouragement to the team.
- While adhering to the production’s scheduling and budgetary parameters, draws upon his/her extensive knowledge of cutting-edge technology to craft innovative lighting designs which both support and enhance the creative vision for the project.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director, Art Director/Production Designer, CG Supervisors, Dept. Supervisor or Leads to help better understand the challenges of each show with an end to bring all pipelines and workflows closer together.
- Proactively anticipate issues with existing workflow, technology and staffing, and present solutions to management with sufficient time for action to be taken.
- Help Production plan by scoping out length and difficulty of tasks within studio projects, advises on the break down of work into the process steps with the goal to better develop schedules and budgets.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity, and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Advise department supervisors on best practices and participate in breaking down and bidding 3D work for projects.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years of industry (animation/VFX/digital media) experience. Exceptions do exist.
- 5+ years of management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication (both written and verbal).
- Superb leadership skills including providing feedback, coaching, and leading.
- Exceptional understanding of CG technology and the CG Industry.
- Advanced knowledge of Maya.
- Knowledge of rendering software such as Arnold, Redshift and Renderman.
- Ability to script is an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the CG animation and recommend relevant software programs.
- Must be able to work within the imposed budget and schedule constraints.
- Minimum 5 years experience as CGI Supervisor, preferably in film (prior experience in a supervisory role – managing a big group).
- Experience in compositing, rendering, visual FX, film output.
- Must be able to communicate creative and technical concerns and ideas to the Producers and the client.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and visually. Practices attentive and active listening.
- Ability to inspire, mentor and support crew. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Highly motivated. Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Able to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Exceptional and creative problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Ability to quickly assimilate new information and adapt as needed.
- Efficient and detail-oriented.
- Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet or exceed lighting objectives within the production budget and scheduled parameters.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.