Are you a Modeling Artist looking to join an amazing studio with a dynamic and collaborative team? We have some exciting opportunities on the horizon that we can’t wait to talk to you about!
Submit an application now, and in the coming weeks we will begin reviewing talented candidates like yourself for these upcoming positions!
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
On a CG animated film, the Modeling Supervisor is responsible for guiding the modeling team in conceptualizing and developing all digital assets. Under his/her supervision, all models must meet the project’s specifications including performance complexities and aesthetic requirements.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the guidance of the Director and the creative leadership of the Modeling Supervisor, the modeling team translates all 2D designs in to 3 objects.
- Supervises all modeling efforts as they are conceptualized and completed in alignment with the determined creative style and technical direction of a project.
- Supervises all digital asset creations in collaboration with the art director, visual effects supervisor, CG supervisor and riggers, surfacing artist and animators in order to facilitate optimal shot production while adhering to the schedule and quota fulfillment.
- Collaborates with the Rigging Department Supervisor to ensure models are structured in such a way to achieve intended performance requirements.
- Collaborates with the Surfacing Department Supervisor to ensure that the models match the aesthetic and creative requirements of the project’s overall look.
- Collaborates with Animation Director and Supervisor to ensure models are structured in such a way to achieve intended performance requirements.
- Collaborates with the Design Supervisor and management team ensure all necessary designs are created.
- Guides all efforts to establish the project’s standard of modeling and level of complexity for characters, environments and props. Supervises the modeling team to creatively enhance the assets in order to meet the set performance objectives.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence within the parameters of the production plan.
- Evaluates and casts artists to models characters, environments or props based on their strengths and level of expertise.
- Reviews modeling process with the goal of optimal performance while adhering to the production’s budget and timeline.
- Collaborates with Producer and HR on managing performance. Responsible for completing artists’ performance reviews.
- Collaborates with the production management team to prioritize work on models pending production schedule. Liaises with Art Direction, Design, Rigging, Surfacing and Animation Departments as needed.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Responsible for managing the workflow within the Modeling Dept. and fulfilling production schedule requirements on a weekly basis.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Director and Producer in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- 6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Lead experience preferred.
- Outstanding ability to work with polygonal, NURBS and subdivision topologies to create surface models ranging from highly stylized cartoon characters to photorealistic fantasy creatures.
- Superior knowledge of human and animal anatomy, physical motion, weight, balance and form.
- Experience in 3D animation and rigging preferred.
- Superior proficiency in using Photoshop and Maya is required. Experience with XSI, Shave and Fur/Hair tools is considered an asset.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients.
- Excellent leadership skills, inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and excel in modeling skills.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Ability to liaise with production management to define and articulate production requirements. Ability to predict potential problems and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, solutions-oriented, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work well under pressure. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Superior organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and delegate. Thorough knowledge of the production process and pipeline.
- Exceptional problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improves skill set. Ability to quickly assimilate new information and adapt as needed.
- Outstanding ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and visually. Excellent inter-personal skills. Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives. Responsible for managing the modeling process and the department’s workflow and quota expectation per project’s requirements.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.