WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for an Episodic Director to join us on an exciting new series! Under the guidance of The Series Director, The Episodic Director provides creative leadership to the episodic work on the series.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Defines and implements techniques and processes that help bring the vision of the stakeholders, Series Director, and Art Director to the episodic storytelling.
- Ensures that the creative team is motivated to achieve the highest standards possible within the parameters of the production plan.
- Oversees character consistency throughout series, ensuring that key character and story moments are supported through performance.
- Ensures the storyboard style guide is followed consistently in regards to shorthand model posing, staging, cuts and compositional esthetics of the series
- Collaborates with creative and technical staff to ensure animation feasibility within the confines of schedule and budget.
- Conducts regular client video conference calls to discuss client feedback, and implements changes proactively to all episodic production.
- Evaluates and casts story talent to characters/sequences/shots that best suit to their skill set.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and support to the team.
- Provides coaching, mentoring and training as necessary.
- Partners with production management in tracking and ensuring the on-time delivery of high quality shots.
- Maximizes re-use where applicable.
- Collaborates with Producer and HR on managing performance. Responsible for completing artist’s performance reviews.
- Attends meetings and coordinates efforts with other production staff and supervisors to facilitate optimal production flow.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: which includes a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Additional duties as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of CG Animation production process is required through previous experience in Story and/or Animation teams, including leadership roles
- 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within animation.
- In depth understanding of the workflow of episodic animation is required.
- Expert understanding of principles of staging, pacing and storytelling.
- Advanced level of proficiency in using Photoshop is required.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; ability to clearly pitch and present story, art materials etc.
- Excellent leadership skills; ability to direct and inspire the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude, and ability to remain calm in high pressure scenarios.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients.
- Ability to communicate process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
- Creatively solves problems, makes decisions in a timely manner, and accepts accountability for own actions.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improves skill set to remain at cutting edge of industry trends.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.