WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Following the guidance of the Compositing Artist Supervisor or Lead, on a CG animated film, the Compositing Artist composes scenes and sequences to meet the art and story direction. The Compositing Artist utilizes their artistic and technical skills to create seamless integration of CG elements and is responsible for compositing multiple types of shots from simple to moderately difficult.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Supervisor or Lead in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Delivers assignments per project’s schedule.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Solve visual, artistic and technical problems when possible or work with the department concerned to find creative solutions (modeling, texture, 3D lighting, etc.).
- Ensure the consistency of the final composition of the elements of a visual effects plan.
- Harmonize the creative and technical aspects of each of the shots.
- Using artistic and technical skills integrate all 3D elements and maintain continuity throughout a sequence.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Strong aesthetic skills and proficiency in shot composition, lighting and compositing.
- Detail oriented, he/she must maintain overall shot and sequence aesthetic consistency and ensure that the output is artifact free.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of compositing principles and terminology
- Understands AOVs/render passes
- Knowledge of Nuke nodes and hotkeys (merge, grade, transform, etc)
- Working knowledge of Maya and Nuke is required. Knowledge of Katana, Houdini and rendering software such as Shake, Digital Fusion and/or After Effects is considered an asset.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of compositing.
- Knowledge of principals of photography (such as knowledge of cameras, fstop and shutter speed) and lighting are considered an asset.
- Strong understanding of colour theory and application.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely. Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and pro-active. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Ability to fulfill compositing assignment objectives per the production schedule.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.