At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it’s no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for an experienced Art Director to join our studio! The Production Designer (Art Director) oversees and creates the visual development for the color script, Environments, characters, props, lighting etc… Starting with the conceptualization phase generating the initial designs for character, locations and props, onto building assets, shot creation and composition through final output and color correction.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ability to create a visual style based on the Producer and Director’s vision for the project.
- Works closely with the designers to create the design and art direction for the project.
- Work closely with third party vendors and collaborate with them to ensure their vision is met.
- Able to generate a color palate or color keys which will guide the project’s lighting, mood and atmosphere.
- Collaborates with, lighting, Compositing, Visual Effects Supervisors and CG Supervisor to establish the quality and complexity standards for the project.
- Collaborates with Department Supervisors to ensure all artwork consistently meets the project’s creative parameters and complexity level while adhering to its schedule and budget.
- Proficient in generating technical drawings from approved concept art, and creating schematics and floor plans in which the Art Department can build characters and sets.
- Ability to create Matte paintings and integrate them with the lighting team
- Ability to handle feedback and constructive criticism
- The Production Designer is responsible for the project’s stylistic, color, texture and lighting consistency.
- He/she plays a key part in maintaining the final look of the project.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Production Executives, Director, Co-production companies, and Producer/s in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Partners with production team to prioritize completion of artwork pending production requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Highly imaginative, thinks out of the box.
- Expertise in design, color and application.
- Equally as versatile using a pencil as Photoshop and other similar software.
- Ability to envision how 2D artwork can be effectively and efficiently translated into CG models.
- Expertise in creating conceptual artwork in a wide spectrum of styles ranging from cartoony to realistic.
- Extensive knowledge of modeling and animation.
- Extremely knowledgeable about the production process from start to finish.
- Proven abilities to guide the visual style of the project from the conceptual stage through production and post production.
- Pipeline expertise a plus.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi task and delegate.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives.
- Ability to liaison with production staff and artists and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.