At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it’s no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
We are looking for experienced Animation Leads on our next exciting series! Under the guidance of the Director, Animation Director and Supervisor, on a CG animated film, the Lead Animator provides creative mentorship to the animation team by example.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Helps to define and implement the standards for the acting performance.
- Develops and defines animation styles and techniques which set the stage for outstanding performance and unique storytelling.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the team to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Oversees character consistency throughout or on assigned sequences, ensuring that key character and story moments are supported through performance.
- Works with the Supervisor and/or production management to cast animators to characters/sequences/shots that best suit their skill set.
- Collaborates with creative and technical staff to ensure animation feasibility within the confines of schedule and budget.
- Seeks creative options to maximize re-use when applicable.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and support to the team.
- Provides coaching, mentoring and training as necessary.
- Partners with production management and Animation Supervisor in tracking and providing support to artists to ensure the on-time delivery of high quality shots.
- Ensures that the animators are achieving balance, composition and timing requirements in a way that supports story and character performance.
- Guides animation team to creatively enhance material in order to achieve set standards of performance and complexity.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director and Animation Supervisor in a timely and manner and of highest quality.
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience in classical animation, stop motion or claymation.
- Advanced knowledge of principles of animation, anatomy, perspective and composition.
- Advanced acting skills that in turn set the standards for the project’s character performance.
- Extensive knowledge of modeling, character rigging and facial animation.
- Advanced knowledge of software is required. Advanced knowledge of Maya animation tools.
- Strong storytelling skills along with expertise on how to enrich acting performance.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and/or demonstrate both verbally and visually.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients as required.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback and inspire team to strive for excellence.
- Solid team leader, delegator and decision-maker.
- Adaptable and able to change course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solutions-oriented, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work well under pressure.
- Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to prioritize duties in order to fulfill both personal quota and team quota requirements.
- Exceptional problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improves skill set to remain at cutting edge of industry trends.
- Ability to oversee and deliver the highest quality animation feasible within the production parameters and consistently meet departmental production quota requirements.