WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
This is a perfect opportunity for an artist who has a couple of projects under their belt and is passionate about drawing and translating the story into a visual medium. Does this sound like you? Then we want to hear from you!
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Head of Story and/or a Senior Storyboard Artist, a Storyboard Artist, using designs, translates script pages into storyboard panels.
- Creates story sequences that reflect the emotional, action and or comedic intent of a scene/sequence.
- Actively participates in brainstorming sessions to come up with story, emotional and comedic ideas.
- Strong abilities to use staging, shot composition, screen direction and cutting for effective storytelling.
- Focuses on continuity from shot-to-shot in his/her assigned sequence in addition to collaborating with other story artists to ensure continuity from sequence to sequence.
- Depending on the project’s requirements, the Storyboard artist generates artwork ranging from thumbnails to digitally enhanced final storyboard panels.
- Collaborates with editorial to provide materials be cut into the story reel.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from Director(s) and or Head of Story in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is preferred.
- 2-3+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Strong drawing skills with the ability to capture character action, emotion and attitude through storyboard panels.
- Excellent storytelling skills.
- Solid knowledge of film grammar, shot composition and cinematographic tools and their use for optimal storytelling.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of styles ranging from cartoony to realistic.
- Experience with digital storyboarding tools.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate ideas clearly.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Director/Supervisor.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.