WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Head of Rigging, Pipeline Supervisors and VP, Information Technology and Pipeline, the Rigging Pipeline TD drives forward the quality of the rigging systems and pipeline within the company. This includes writing tools which fulfill the technical requirements for the articulation and deformation for character animation.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- The Rigging Pipeline TD guides innovative methods of working through the development and maintenance of leading-edge proprietary rigging tools and scripts,
- Assists in the development of the studios rigging pipelines.
- Provides mentoring, technical support, and training to members of the team when needed.
- Create advanced character rigs and develop innovative methods to meet project objectives, as needed.
- Creates scripts allowing for automation of specific rigging tasks.
- Maintains accurate documentation for all coding development and follows studio protocol.
- Assists in the set up of rigs for optimal performance and efficient animation output while collaborating closely with Design, Modelling and Animation departments.
- Interprets and implements notes and feedback from the Head of Rigging, Pipeline Supervisors and VP,
- Information Technology in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
- Must have extensive articulation and deformation skills.
- Devises and innovates methods of working with skeletons, modeling geometry and weighting that meet the project’s creative objectives.
- Collaborates with the rigging and animation teams in the testing of characters and provides timely solutions to any technical or performance related issues. Responsible for evaluating any issues that may arise in the rigging and enveloping of creatures and devises efficient solutions.
- Evaluates and recommends relevant external plugins/scripts.
- Prioritizes assignment completion per the studio’s needs and schedules.
- Interacts with commercial vendors with respect to technical issues affecting proprietary tools, etc.
- Maintains contacts with academia/industry to keep current on new research and recent developments.
- Completes assignments on schedule. Prioritizes task completion in coordination with production, technical animators and technical support staff.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts of animation or equivalent experience is required.
- Advanced degree in Computing Science, Mathematics, Physics or related disciplines is an asset.
- 8-10 years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline preferred however not required.
- In-depth knowledge of geometry creation, weighting and skeleton rigging.
- Production knowledge of Maya, its Python API and scripting is required.
- Knowledge of Blender, Unreal, Unity an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of UNIX/Linux, procedural and object-oriented programming languages.
- Ability to create scripts in Python allowing for automation of specific tasks.
- Strong artistic skills; demonstrable ability to make creative and aesthetic judgement calls.
- Thorough knowledge of CG Animation.
- Ability to communicate and/or demonstrate ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and visually. Practices attentive and active listening. Incorporates feedback and direction received from the Head of Rigging,
- Pipeline Supervisors and VP, Information Technology and Pipeline.
- Ability to mentor and train. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work under pressure. Self-motivated and proactive. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on the issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.