WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Production Designer/Art Director, on a CG animated film, the Lead Designer generates artwork in both 2D and 3D including characters, sets, vehicles and or props pending their area of expertise.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the leadership of the Production Designer/Art Director, the Lead Designer explores design options and defines the style of the project that best supports the overall creative vision for the story. Creates design to be used in production.
- Develops design styles and explores techniques which lead to establishing the standards of creativity and complexity for the project.
- Oversees the creation of the project’s look, style and complexity level and ensures their design consistency.
- Supports the Production Designer/Art Director with artist evaluation and casting.
- Crafts innovative designs and supports the Production Designer/Art Director in ensuring that all design elements can successfully translate to functioning assets and their look, style and complexity level meet the set creative objectives and fall within the confines of the project’s timeline and fiscal parameters.
- Provides input for artist’s performance review to the Production Designer/Art Director.
- Ability to prioritize artwork creation and completion pending production requirements.
- Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
- Motivates, mentors and supports the team to consistently strive towards excellence.
- Partners with the production team and other departments in tracking and ensuring the on-time completion of art deliverables.
- Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director, Art Director and Production
Designer in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way
- Collaborates with production management team to ensure that all required design elements as introduced by story artists are created.
- Collaborates with modelers to test efficacy of 3D elements, modifying designs as required.
- Responsible for selected art deliverables conceptual phase through development, completion and approval in accordance with the production’s budget and schedule
- Adheres to digital file management protocols.
- Supports and integrates the values of Mainframe: that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interacts respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience is required.
- 3-5+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
- Excellent skills in visualizing ideas in addition to advanced knowledge of design and animation as it pertains to creation and development of production elements. Extensive experience in exploring and delivering artwork in a variety of different styles as required by the project.
- Ability to create concept art depicting people, animals, fantastical creatures, props and environments. Ability to visualize perspective and 3-dimensional space. Exemplary drawing, illustration and/or painting skills is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of modeling, character rigging and animation.
- Advanced level proficiency using Photoshop is required. Extensive experience with After Effects, ZBrush, Corel Painter, Illustrator and Maya is considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely. Proactively communicates production issues to supervisor.
- Practices attentive and active listening. Shares information, methodologies and ideas with others. Incorporates feedback and direction received from Director/Supervisor.
- Ability to inspire team by example; provide constructive feedback and draws out excellence. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
- Proven abilities to manage design team to create artwork from conceptual phase through final artwork deliverables.
- Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
- Efficient and detail oriented. Ability to prioritize duties in order to complete both personal assignments and oversee team output requirements.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver assignments on time and meet or exceed design objectives within the production budget and scheduled parameters.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners.
About Mainframe Studios
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.