Linux System Administrator – Lost Boys School of VFX
Introducing Lost Boys School of VFX!
What’s in a name?
Lost Boys originates from the Peter Pan stories created by Scottish novelist and playwright J. M. Barrie, later to be pushed into popular culture as an animated feature film by Walt Disney. Reflecting the youthful culture of visual effects production where fantastical experiences and stories are created, Lost Boys became a place where artist vision and playful creative innovation became a daily occurrence. Today, it is a point of great pride to call oneself a Lost Boy and to carry on our 25+ years of creative legacy.
Who loves working here?
“It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness”
J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
At Lost Boys, we believe that the road to building a truly extraordinary school of VFX lies in building an equally extraordinary team. We seek to attract passionate industry professionals who are eager to share their knowledge with the next generation of creative minds behind the movies and television shows we love. We believe that a genuine love of mentoring and inspiring creative growth and exploration in a safe and supportive environment are the keys to developing the future of our craft.
The mission ahead:
Lost Boys are on the lookout for a talented Linux System Administrator/DevOps Engineer to join our close-knit team. As a key member, you will be responsible for the smooth operation and security of our workstations and servers. With approximately 50 workstations to manage, you will play a crucial role in ensuring optimal performance and seamless workflow for our students and faculty. Please note that this is a part-time/contractual/freelance position that requires flexibility to assist when needed. We are estimating a workload of 3 hours per week for the time being, with larger projects being quoted on a case-by-case basis. This position is primarily remote, with occasional on-site visits.
Day-to-day – You’ll accomplish:
- Assist owner with the transition of role, documenting when necessary.
- Maintain and manage our Ubuntu workstations and TrueNAS servers.
- Monitor system performance and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Perform routine computer hardware maintenance tasks; including swapping out GPUs, memory, power supplies, hard drives, and annual dusting/cleaning of our workstations when necessary.
- Implement and maintain security measures to protect our systems and data.
- Automate tasks and manage configurations using DevOps tools such as Ansible and Puppet.
- Collaborate with our team to identify and implement system improvements.
Your track record:
- Strong proficiency in Linux system administration; including server management, network configuration, and security.
- Knowledge of Ubuntu and TrueNAS specifically.
- Aptitude with User management – currently using LDAP Server app for user authentication through Synology.
- Skilled with DevOps tools such as Ansible or Puppet.
- Familiarity with visual effects applications and tools (a huge plus!).
- A passion for education and a desire to support the growth of aspiring visual effects artists.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative mindset to work seamlessly with our team.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Not sure if you’re a fit? Drop us a line to say hello 🙂
At Lost Boys, we strive to create a safe and supportive environment where everyone’s unique perspective is welcomed. We believe that in order to create the most engaging learning experience possible, many diverse voices are required.