The Junior Digital Paint Artist restores background plates and creates digital articulate mattes.
• Demonstrates a strong eye for color and grain structures with the ability to match saturation, hues and black points from multiple sources to create a cohesive final montage.
• Able to break shots down into individual components with little supervision.
• Easily assimilates feedback given by supervisors.
• Researches appropriate references including continuity with like shots. Proactively shares this information with team.
• Demonstrates a keen eye for recognizing paint artifacts, sharpness and color issues.
• Able to handle complex shots with heavy motion blur, lots of layers, etc.
• Ability to use a combination of techniques when dealing with tricky wire removals and clean plates.
• Demonstrates a basic ability to do “paint on comp” work to a high level of quality.
• Working knowledge of color correction and Grain pipeline in Nuke.
• Ability to use layout and DM cameras in Nuke.
• Ability to export track points between multiple toolsets.
• Working knowledge of stereo compositing pipeline.
• Demonstrates excellent trouble shooting skills.
• Takes ownership and responsibility of shot. Proactively offers options and finds own solutions for production problems.
• Actively works across departments in shot groups. Provides updates to production and other artists on shot progress.
Reports to the Talent Manager, Roto Paint and receives daily oversight and direction from the Lead/Digital Paint Supervisor.
• At least one year of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least three years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
• Experience with Silhouette and Nuke.
• Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
• Must have an understanding how their work fits into the pipeline and it’s affect on upstream and downstream departments.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.
Salary & Benefits
$45,000 – $55,000 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email Marilou Sayco with your resume: firstname.lastname@example.org
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light & Magic Inc.
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.