Department: ILM Vancouver
Reports To: EIC of Vancouver Studio
Status: Full-Time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Date: March 2018
The ILM Vancouver VFX Producer is responsible for collaborative oversight of bidding and production of Vancouver-based work as well as partnering with EIC, Vancouver Studio on ensuring ILM strategies and initiative progress forward. Responsibilities include the proactive problem-solving and collaboration required for success, with oversight of budgets and schedules, ensuring work is produced to the quality and standards requested by the client on time and on budget, identifying best practices and approaches as needed, while advising on the strategy for potential new work.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Meet with clients to review scripts, breakdowns and storyboards for a specific project.
• Partner with key creatives to develop the show approach plan and provide clients with estimates of budget and schedule requirements needed to complete the work.
• Prepare bid letter, key dates schedule, and assumptions for the work of a specific project.
• Play a proactive key role in marketing ILM’s services to the industry.
• Share responsibility for the success of the entire ILM portfolio by proactively managing schedule; utilizing ILM’s global resources and 3rd party partners, where appropriate.
Active Production Responsibilities
• Serves as hands-on Producer on 1-3 “UNIT” Shows or 1 Primary Vancouver “HUB” Show.
• During production, serve as Principal Vancouver contact for non-creative issues, tracking and reporting progress of work, budgeting and negotiating cost of work, and delivering cost/schedule changes to ensure client is updated as needed (Internal=”UNIT SHOW” | external=”HUB SHOW”).
• Responsible for assigned show / scope of Vancouver work P&L.
• Production strategy on ILM Vancouver shows, in partnership with EIC of Vancouver Studio.
• Maintains overall production schedule and manage budget for assigned show(s).
• Brings production issues to the attention of EIC, Production, producers and management as needed; helps to resolve facility issues with ILM Vancouver HR Manager and others, as needed.
• In conjunction with ILM Vancouver Talent Managers, staff productions effectively.
• Evaluates EFC’s for assigned projects. Works with assigned producers and production accountants to provide management with early, consistent and accurate EFC reporting.
• Participates in bi-weekly Production & Tactical Capacity meetings and portfolio meetings as appropriate.
• Evaluates changes in schedule and body of work over the course of active projects and to provide advice on solutions for resource capacity / utilization and complexity challenges.
• Partners with ILM SF, SINGAPORE and LONDON producers to determine communication framework and procedures between productions in appropriate studios.
• Partners with “HUB” Producer(s) to determine specific turnover requirements and to evaluate incoming turnovers.
• Manage crew performance. Supervise assigned production staff, providing timely performance feedback to Production and Artists at studio.
Reports to the Executive in Charge of Vancouver Studio. Must also work closely within the local market, the Studio, and with ILM San Francisco, ILM Singapore, ILM London, and ILM 3PP’s, including ILM Executive Producers.
• 10+ years’ hands-on digital production experience
• Proven track record of successfully working in Visual Effects Producer capacity on several major productions at a facility (6+ years)
• Proven track record in bidding and client management
• Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
• Excellent computer skills including: Word, Excel, Outlook
• Experience with databases and wide range of production management tools (such as Shotgun, Filemaker Pro, MS Project)
• Strong English communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to work on weekends, depending on show schedules
• Set-work may be required
Salary & Benefits
$120,000 – $180,000 annual salary; plus full benefits package – 15 paid vacation days, extended health & dental insurance, disability insurance, MSP coverage, and company-matching RRSP.Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: 20 April 2018
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.