Senior Matchmove/Layout Artists are responsible for independently creating camera moves and rough blocking animation within a digital environment. Senior MM/Layout Artists work closely with the Animation Director and Visual Effects Supervisor to establish composition, timing, and continuity for each shot. May be required to work with live-action plates or in a CG layout environment.
Senior MM/Layout Artists act as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements. While matchmoving is one requirement of the position, Senior MM/Layout Artists may perform tasks outside of matchmoving including CG layout, modeling set geometry, photomodeling, lidar solves, previz, and basic lighting & compositing.
• Independently performs complex matchmove tasks such as camera tracking, character matching (matchanim), solving lens distortion, deformation matching of surfaces, solving native stereo plates
• Responsible for multi-plate splicing and stitching, adding creative plate post-moves, creative stereo (i.e. Technical layout)
• Responsible for Previz, postviz and techviz (prep for location shooting or ride development); Process inbound/outbound moco data
• Photomodels, performs environment/scene setup verifying correct assets are being used, edit ranges are correct, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing, set dressing (i.e. Scene setup)
• Creates creative camera work for non-plate shots and camera takeover shots with minimal guidance; originate entirely CG camera animation (i.e. CG camera work)
• Solve facial animation from face cams (i.e. face-capture)
• Independently set up the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show
• Convert background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography; animate any live action character or relative object in the scene
• Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors
• Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
• Mentor Junior Layout Artists
• Special projects as needed
Reports to the Talent Manager, Matchmove/Layout and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Matchmove/Layout Supervisor.
• At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
• Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
• Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
• Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
• Location and/or Stage experience including matchmove set ups; data wrangling; hdr/digimatte/texture/pmodel photography; lidar scanning; lens grid filming; on-stage (real-time) camera capture/assistance.
• Knowledge of Nuke is a plus
• Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required.
• Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
Salary & Benefits
$80,600 – $127,900 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email resume: email@example.com
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.