Position Title: Senior Hard Surface Modeler
Department: Digital Model Shop
Reports To: CG Talent Manager
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Date: 20 February 2018
With an emphasis on proportion, form, detail, and functionality, the hard surface modeler creates three dimensional objects to be painted, animated and used in a production. Examples include vehicles and props.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Creates three-dimensional hard surface models like mechanical objects, environments, and props for the Animator, Painter, and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production.
- In building an object, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, an understanding of mechanisms, and a basic understanding of animation.
- Works with production team (Sr. Modeler, Technical Directors, Painters and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object.
- Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
Reports to the Talent Manager, Digital Model Shop and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG and Model Supervisor.
- At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience.
- At least 5 years’ polygon/subd modeling experience. Knowledge of Linux is a necessity to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline.
- Proven experience creating inorganic objects in a feature film or production environment.
- Requires familiarity with film and video post-production techniques and with computer graphic techniques.
- Knowledge of 3D programs such as Maya, Modo, Mudbox, or Zbrush.
- Texture painting and UV layout experience desirable.
- Sketching, drawing, painting and design skills desirable.
- Experimentation with animation or advanced rendering a plus.
Salary & Benefits
$80,600 – $127,900 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health and dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email your resume to: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: 20 May 2018
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.