Position Title: Senior Creature Technical Director
Reports To: Talent Manager, Creature
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Date: 19 October 2017
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, Senior Creature TDs are responsible for rigging and enveloping hero to background creature, vehicles and props in Maya as well as setting up and running flesh-surface, hair, rigid, crowd, and cloth simulations. Able to wrangle rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Advanced Hero-creature rigging and enveloping in Maya
• Set up and run cloth, hair, rigid body, crowd, muscle simulations
• Troubleshoot creature rigging and pipeline issues for artists in other disciplines
• Mentor entry level artists
• Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in Maya
• Sufficient knowledge of Maya rigging techniques to optimize the performance of rigs
• Participate in reviews, dailies, and department meetings as required
• Special projects as necessary
Reports to the CG Talent Manager, Creature and receives daily guidance from the CG Supervisor and VFX Producer.
• At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience.
• Experience with advanced hero asset rigging and enveloping in Maya
• Experience setting up and running simulation shotwork.
• Experience in corrective sculpting. Knowledge of anatomy and enveloping
• Positive Attitude and team player
• Passion for the work
• Good communication skills
• Experience with Massive or Houdini crowd software
• Basic proficiency in another discipline -modeling, texture, TD, animation
• Proficiency with Linux
• Expertise with Maya
• Experience with python scripting
Salary & Benefits
$80,600 – $127,900 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email Marilou Sayco with your resume: firstname.lastname@example.org
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.