Position Title: Senior Creature Modeler
Department: Digital Model Shop (DMS)
Reports To: CG Talent Manager, DMS
Date: June 6, 2018
The Senior Creature Modeler focuses on anatomy and form, the Creature Modeler creates three dimensional CG characters to be painted, enveloped and animated by the creature development team.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Creates three-dimensional creatures for the Animator and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production
• In building creatures, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic understanding of animation
• Works with production team (Sr. Modeler, Technical Directors and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object
• Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process
• Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation
Reports to the Talent Manager, DMS and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG and Creature Modeler Supervisor.
• At least 5 years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least 7 years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education
• Portfolio demonstrating traditional artistic skills including illustration, and sculptural abilities a plus
• Proven experience creating digital creatures or characters in a feature film or production environment
• Requires familiarity with film and video post-production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
• A demonstrated desire to develop computer skills
• 3-5 years Zbrush, Maya, and facial development experience
• Knowledge of UNIX is a necessity as to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline
Salary & Benefits
$80,600 – $127,900 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email Marilou Sayco with your resume to: email@example.com
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.