Position Title: CG Supervisor
Reports To: CG Talent Manager
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Date: 20 February 2018
Working under the direction of the Digital Production Supervisor and the VFX Supervisor, the CG Supervisor ensures all delivered shots maintain the group’s rigorous standards and support the creative vision of the Director by directing the artists’ creative work, technical skills and communication.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for leading and mentoring the digital artists in technical direction work.
- Maintain high technical standards and strive to maintain an up-to- date understanding of ILM’s standards, advancements and best practices. Communicating this knowledge to the production group.
- Responsible for bidding and scheduling TD work for the show.
- Demonstrate good listening and communication skills by openly receiving and understanding direction and criticism from ILM Supervisors and communicating and defining their expectations to the production group.
- Must be a seasoned cross-group communicator and collaborator.
- Demonstrates basic presentation and communication skills in dailies and shot review by clearly and briefly outlining accomplishments and areas of issue.
- Must possess a keen eye for aesthetic detail and the ability to effectively communicate with both the creative and production staff at ILM.
- Possess the ability to prioritize tasks and manage time well, providing accurate time estimates for shot completion.
Reports to the Talent Manager, CG Supervisors and receives daily oversight and direction from the VFX Supervisor and Digital Production Supervisor.
- At least 6 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 8 years relevant professional VFX experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the pipeline (both proprietary and 3rd party).
- Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
- Strong awareness of deadlines.
- Demonstrates ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear understanding of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away.
- Demonstrates the ability to engage in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
- Demonstrates an excellent eye toward anticipating potential problems and knowing exactly what could look better in one’s shot and an excellent knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
- Demonstrates superb problem solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
- Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior level artists and lead others on huge shots or small sequences.
- Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar of for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
- Conversant in FX TD methodologies.
- Look dev and/or shader writing preferred, layout and matchmove a plus.
- Familiar with Maya, Katana, Zeno and Nuke.
Salary & Benefits
$91,000 – $144,500 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health and dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email your resume to: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: 20 May 2018
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.