Position Title: Generalist
Reports To: Talent Manager, Generalist
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Date: 17 October 2017
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment.
· Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback.
· Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp.
· Participates in team reviews of work under development.
· Mentors Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots.
· Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving.
· Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development.
· Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently.
· Sources suitable reference materials for required assets.
· Special projects as needed.
Reports to the Talent Manager, Generalist and receives daily oversight and direction from the Lead/Generalist Supervisor.
· At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience.
· Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing; OR, proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
· Demo reel required
· High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
· Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
· Strong English communication skills
· Fluent in Photoshop
· Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
· Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
· Comparable software experience considered
· Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
· Strong knowledge and ability in perspective, value matching 35mm photography, physics of light and motion
· Understanding 2D compositing software
· Good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
Salary & Benefits
$62,600 – $99,300 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email Alannah Shaffer with your resume: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: 30 November 2017
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.